LaunchBox Community Forums

New Graphics Card And Emulation Concerns

Dreamwarrior77

My graphics cards just crapped out and I am looking to buy a replacement quickly but was wondering about the potential problem of buying a new GPU since many emulators use direct X 11 and some even Direct X 9 along with games as well.. so my question is if I upgrade to a Direct X12 GPU would this make emulation/gaming a nightmare for me or is everything somehow backward compatible with DX12? How does this work?

Well I am looking for a budget graphics card that does not suck. I don't have much to spend, was looking at this AMD one from MSI. Are their GPU cards any good?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127763&ignorebbr=1

it's the MSI Radeon R7 250 DirectX 12 R7 250 2GD3 OC 2GB 128-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 3.0

I know there are better cards but I don't have much to spend right now, any recommendations? I can not spend over $150 but preferably under that amount. this will be mostly for my emulation pc with the most being PS1/PS2, Gamecube,Wii, PSP and some PC games such as Serious Sam 1 and 2, Max Payne 1,2,3, Mafia 2 etc..

How is this card, would it be good enough for this?

Edited by Dreamwarrior77

32 minutes ago, Dreamwarrior77 said:

Well I am looking for a budget graphics card that does not suck. I don't have much to spend, was looking at this AMD one from MSI. Are their GPU cards any good?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127763&ignorebbr=1

it's the MSI Radeon R7 250 DirectX 12 R7 250 2GD3 OC 2GB 128-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 3.0

I know there are better cards but I don't have much to spend right now, any recommendations? I can not spend over $150 but preferably under that amount. this will be mostly for my emulation pc with the most being PS1/PS2, Gamecube,Wii, PSP and some PC games such as Serious Sam 1 and 2, Max Payne 1,2,3, Mafia 2 etc..

How is this card, would it be good enough for this?

To be totally honest with you, there couldn't be a worse time to buy a new graphics card. There is a worldwide shortage due to all the crypto currency miners buying them all up. My general advice would be to get the one with the most RAM that is under your budget. 

Unfortunately you just may be unable to buy anything at this point, does it have to be new? because at the current inflated prices you wont get much for $150.

yeah gotta be new I hate buying anything used especially when it comes to computer parts. Looks like I will have to spend more than I wanted to but check my last post and tell me what you guys think between those 2 models.. basically have similar specs but since I have an ASUS Motherboard maybe I would be better off just buying the ASUS? How are MSI GPU Cards? Who makes the best GPU cards in the business? Also what is your take on AMD VS Nvidia GPU cards at this time?

OK, those are more towards what I would recommend, they both are the same cards, just by different manufactures. Both have 4GB of ram. I would research them carefully though, 

AMD has had some general push back recently for releasing the same card with the same description, with lower specs, so buyer beware.

39 minutes ago, Dreamwarrior77 said:

ok thanks for the replies, I think I may go for the ASUS version of the RX 550 since it has 1000 MHz more than the MSI RX 550 in the Effective Memory Clock . That should make a big difference right?

Personally I go for the card with the better cooler, as that means you could overclock the card if wanted. I'm not sure how AMD cards handle it, but NVidia cards have a built in overclocker (gpu boost 3.0), that will go as high as it can as long as the cooler can cool it.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

and I assume you ment 100 there??

nope it's 1000 MHz more than the MSI RX 550 for some reason, just came back from the store, I went with the ASUS RX 550 4GB version.

Wish me luck. I'm going to install this thing today, and try to get my Launchbox/BigBox collection all setup. It's going to take some time unfortunately but hey it's worth it to be able to connect this PC to my TV and play all my favorite retro games.

Edited by Dreamwarrior77

I think with a nvidia card you can play video games on the nvidia shield much more easily.  Probably not what you were looking for but I always opt for nvidia, then I go for the cheaper (probably a rebate out there )(If it's basically the same gpu).  Nvidia has never let me down. 

After that just go for what you can afford.  If it were me, I would buy used locally on 5mile or other local selling app.  

Good luck.