LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox and RetroArch 1.7.0 Troubleshooting

kidloser0426

Hello everyone. Rookie builder here. Sorry if this has already been a conversation, but I'm new here. I recently downloaded LaunchBox and RetroArch 1.7.0 for my PC which I intend to eventually turn into a home arcade. I followed the instructional video by "unbroken software"(i believe was the youtube username) and am still having trouble getting it off the ground and running. Now, the version of RetroArch I downloaded, the very same one mentioned in the video mind you, is completely different looking than that in the video. LaunchBox notices that I have RetroArch, but will not launch any games, even though I made sure to load the core checked by LaunchBox for RetroArch. Can someone please help me?!?!?! All I want is to play retro games on my PC from one interface. Any and all help/suggestions will be welcome. Please keep in mind, I am new at all of this, and might need it broken down in "noob" form. Thanks guys!!!!!!

Hello and welcome, there are a few things to look out for though first make sure your Retroarch is setup and working with your games outside of Launchbox.

I have a full written guide with pictures to help you with getting Retroarch setup if you are new to it and it can be found here:

I also have a short tutorial video on setting up Retroarch with Launchbox which covers the basics and what to really watch for:

Ok. So..... I followed the instructions to the T. Got everything loaded, configured, and set up as you instructed. When I went to load the ROM and test the game, RetroArch stopped working and shut down. Is there something I'm missing? Also, do I need to leave the roms in .zip format, or extract them into the folder where I'll be keeping all my ROM files? Thanks again, and sorry for all the questions. Still trying to get a foothold on all this arcade building stuff. Thank you for being patient.

Are you trying to load a game in Retroarch on its own first ? What system and game are you trying to load ?

Some systems require bios files and specific file types to work. If you just load a core and then go to Information > Core Information it will tell you that specific file extensions are supported and it will tell you what bios is any are required, it will tell you the exact file name (case sensitive) and MD5 checksums.

Zip files are fine as long as the file inside is supported.

Ok for the Genesis itself it doesn't require any bios at all, it does need them for the Sega CD.

If you look at the file extensions that are supported though make sure yours are of one of those types, .md and .bin are the most common Genesis rom extensions.

As for where to get the bios I cannot tell you an exact spot to get them but if you look for the No-Intro rom set it does contain the bios files though they would need to be renamed. If you use Google though you should be able to find them.

The roms still won't load through retroarch. I moved all of the bios into the "system" folder under retroarch. Was that a mistake? Although, I tried running a game before that and it was a no go. I feel like I had to have missed something in the tutorial, but I've gone back and double checked every step twice. I go to start up the game, and it crashes. Any suggestions would be awesome. I've hit a wall at this point. >:(>:(

Bios go in the \system folder of your Retroarch folder but like I said those are only for the Sega CD and not for the regular Genesis games.

As for why your games are crashing it out I am not sure what exactly would cause that. In Retroarch itself you should just be able to Load Core (load the Genesis core you are using, presumably GenesisGX) and then Load Content and browse to your games and load any of the roms up.

If you are trying to load through Launchbox there could be a couple of different reasons such as an incorrect setting.

What is the video driver set at in Retroarch? Also is your pc’s video drivers up to date?

Reason I ask is I set-up a system for a friend a few weeks back and the same issue was happening. I do not remember what video driver setting it was set at but changing it and updating his drivers (older pc) and he no longer had crashes. May not be what is wrong here but worth a look. See what driver RA is set at, try changing it and see what happens.