LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox and RetroArch 1.7.0 Troubleshooting

kidloser0426

Changing the video driver helped a bit. I was able to load a rom at one point. Although, it was at the cost of the very nice, fluid menu screen set up on retroarch. Upon switching the video driver back to “gl” the program crashes much more often now. I am no longer capable of choosing the option of exiting retroarch. It just crashes whenever I try and exit out of it, or make changes in the menu screens, or really click on anything for that matter. Could this be a Windows 10 issue? I wish I could revert to an older os, but 10 was on this pc that I bought refurbished 2 years ago, so an older os is unavailable. Maybe a reinstall of retroarch will work. Or, I’ll try downloading the oldest possible version of retroarch I can get for my pc, which I think is 1.6.7. I’ll post updates tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone!!

5 hours ago, kidloser0426 said:

How would I go about changing that? Again, sorry for all the questions. I’m new at this. I feel I may have bit off more than I can chew on this first project. Haha. Maybe I should get my feet wet programming a raspberrypi? Thank you for any and all help/tips.

You will be able to get it. Just start fresh like Lordmonkus said. Before you change any settings to deeply set up your controls first and test a few games. Make sure it is at least running. Than start tweaking to get the look you want. 

SUCCESS!!!!! I found that changing the video driver to "d3d" works great on my system. Genesis games are loading just fine, and retroarch has stopped crashing all together. On to the next tutorial!! Thank you guys for all the help and suggestions. I'll keep you posted on my progress, and any of the guaranteed snags I will hit along the way.

Glad you are sorted. Recommendation as you add more systems is always set the emulator up and make sure your games are running fine in it before you add the games and emulator to Launchbox. That way is something goes wrong after the import it is easier to tell if it is a disconnect with Launchbox or in fact something to do directly with the emulator. 

Ok. So..... the Genesis roms are still loading perfectly. The new roms I'm trying, Nintendo 64, aren't being recognized by retroarch. I've tried both mupen64plus and pralleln64 cores. Is there something wrong with these cores? Should I update retroarch and try again? The rom files I'm using are .z64 files, which mupen64plus claims to run the best. With mupen, I get a message saying "no content found". With parallel, it goes to start the game up, then crashes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

yeah if you can't use GL because it crashes RA you will not be able to play N64 with RA on that PC. What are you specs and sorry if I asked that already at some point. The reason I ask is that I have a few PCs that are older and they can't use RA with GL drivers. I know there are some PCs with Intel graphics 3000 that require driver signing in Windows 10 and they crash RA unless you use d3d video driver and rgui menu I just do that personally but I also know there are special mvsc 2010 builds out there that get around the issue and then you can use them instead.