LaunchBox Community Forums

Ugh - Delayed button presses going into Platform Categories

Guywiththegun

This is annoying. I like to start in Platform Categories. When I choose one, I hear the sound event for the button press (as if it registered that I'm supposed to enter the category), and then there's a 1-2 second delay - and then another sound event and I finally enter the category. What's worse, if I scroll in between the sound events, the second 'button press' will enter whatever category I landed on.

For example:

Scroll to Arcade, press "accept"

Sound event ("click")

Delay begins

Scroll to another category (for example, Consoles)

Second Sound Event ("click")

I end up in Consoles!

Anyone have a clue what is going on?

@Guywiththegun I've seen this happen before too - for me, the problem seems to have magically gone away after an update just over a week ago. I'm not sure if the update is what fixed it or if the update triggered some cache cleaning or what...

What I can say is that I've definitely seen the behavior you're talking about before, I hope it doesn't creep back somehow for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Without sitting in front of your computer to look at certain things it could be several different things causing problems.

It could be a virus.

It could be that you have a bitcoin mining malware on your system causing problems.

It could be some other software causing a conflict.

@Lordmonkus chill out, there's problems I've seen like this and I was lucky - things are tolerable and good because of the hardware I have; @Guywiththegun isn't so lucky. Bitcoins should really be avoided in conversations because they really are NONSENSICAL ?.

@Guywiththegun can you post some details about your setup? Do you have limited memory or anything like that? Are you using slow hard drives? I've noticed that this software isn't optimizing things where it's caching anything - I use a raid 0 dual array of 128 GB SSD drives for all my media and things still can be a bit slow (it's because of rendering 3d art, at least from what I can tell)...

Did you look into the nonsense with spectre and that other crap that was a big Intel CPU bug? There's a website where you can find detail about it and EXPLICITLY disable it, I've seen big issue with that recently that would yield your experience with things.

Anyway, I'm sorry you're having issue but I'm ok after what I've encountered, I'm lucky.

Edited by UltimatePistachio
Hope? Bad contraction

1 hour ago, UltimatePistachio said:

@Lordmonkus chill out, there's problems I've seen like this and I was lucky - things are tolerable and good because of the hardware I have; @Guywiththegun isn't so lucky. Bitcoins should really be avoided in conversations because they really are NONSENSICAL ?.

Excuse me ? Why are you telling me to chill out ? All I said was without knowing or ability to see any details of his system it's impossible to tell what the problem could be. It could be any number of things including the things I listed. I never said that any of the things I suggested as possible problems were in fact definite, I only pointed out possibilities and anything at all would merely be guessing and speculation.

1 hour ago, UltimatePistachio said:

Bitcoins should really be avoided in conversations because they really are NONSENSICAL ?.

Why would you say this is nonsensical ? It is well established that this has become a very real problem nowadays ? Bad ads on even a legitimate website can install bitcoin mining malware on systems.

I don't know if this is the problem and I never said that it definitively was the problem, just as you don't know for a fact it isn't.

@Lordmonkus I apologize, I didn't mean to offend; honestly I just got an email from this and only saw your response. It's my fault for not fully reading things before posting, I'll be a little more careful next time I post. Your points are definitely valid.

I'm running everything on a very old 1st gen i7 with an old Quadro 4000 and 12 gb of memory and things are fine for me, for the most part. Occasionally I'll see some choke ups happening but I chalk it up to things needing to catch up and render from the source media.

There has been a few times, however, where things are just totally jenky like how @Guywiththegun is describing and I think whatever those things were might've been fixed in a somewhat recent beta release. I can't really say though because it is such a weird issue to be encountering and it's not happening often for me, but seems to be happening to @Guywiththegun more often and consistently.

@Guywiththegun are you using beta builds?
Are you using some sort of custom theme?
Did you reduce the ram cache in LaunchBox settings?

Did you change the LaunchBox setting for videos to use VLC? If so, is VLC working alright?
Did you reset the caches that are available in the BigBox settings?
Is your Winderz all dirty or could your antivirus be interfering with something?

As @Lordmonkus did suggest, there might be a rogue process hijacking your CPU and GPU... we just won't know for sure without something to fully reference.

1 - I was using Beta builds but rolled back to official builds (both 8.1 and 8.0) and the problem still exists

2 - The issue exists in all themes

3 - I actually increased it, same issue

4 - VLC works fine, changing to WMP did nothing to fix the issue

5 - I reset all caches

6 - Windows is running fine. System idle process at 97%

Specs again are below:

5-7500 3.40GHz

8 GB RAM

GTX 1050 Ti

LB is installed on an SSD

I've been at this for a while now. Disabling software on my computer, messing with the ram cache, uninstalling updates . . I just noticed in my testing that ALL "select" input is delayed. Entering platforms, selecting games . .its all sluggish. Animation & scrolling seems fine, but hitting "select" is not responsive. WTF is going on? There is a delay before the program realizes it. What's worse, if you continue "scrolling" after hitting select and before the program 'catches' your input, it will enter the wrong section.

This is unacceptable. I love LB & Big Box but to not have this basic functionality nailed down is absurd, and the response here has been severely lacking. It appears I'm on my own

Edited by Guywiththegun

@Guywiththegun I am sorry to hear you feel you are on your own and that response here is lacking. I know the forum members and mods try their best to help all members. The lack of responses might be that not many seem to report that they are experiencing your issue and therefor many forum contributors and mods as well may not have specific answers to what could be causing your issue. I have several set ups in my home with systems ranging from low end spec to a heavy beast of a gaming pc and have not experienced what you mentioned. So at best, I could only spitball ideas which @Lordmonkus and @UltimatePistachio have done. 

What type of controller are you using? Do you have any 3rd party input applications running (such as Xpadder , x360e, or the like)? I know you said it occurs in all themes you used, but have you tried using a minimal style theme and have it show only images (no videos) and see if it still persists? 

There have been other users in the past with excellent system specs and we just don't know what is wrong and why they are having the problems they are having. At that point I don't know what else we can tell you as we have no clue. I have multiple computers and I don't have those issues with them when running BB on my HTPC's and that is a i5 3330 with a 950 2 i5 6500  both with 750ti's and an i7 4700 with a 960 so you shouldn't be having issues but you are. I don't know what else to say except I'm sorry that you are having issues and we are unable to fix them for you. Since the program isn't working properly for you and you are unsatisfied I'm sure if you contact support@unbrokensoftware.com some one will be glad to refund your money to you if that is the route you want to go. Once again we are sorry that you are having performance issue in conjunction with the program.