LaunchBox Community Forums

Updating RetroArch in LaunchBox

Aesthetic

I noticed that RetroArch 1.7.1 has been released. I was wondering what the proper procedure was (if there is any) for updating RetroArch in LaunchBox since they’re somewhat coupled together. Are they really just two stand alone apps (with a menu pointer in LaunchBox) so I can update RetroArch without concern for LaunchBox?

Correct, if you install the new version to a different location just go to tools/manage emulators and point it to the .exe in the new folder. You will of course have to copy any folders you want to the new install otherwise it will be a fresh install with none of your settings. Alternatively download just the executables from the buildbot  here, just pick 32 or 64 bit depending on your system, you want the small _retroarch.7z its around 10-11mb depending on 32 or 64 bit, just copy the 2 .exe to your current Retroarch folder and overwrite the existing .exe.  

• Thanks 1

I've had huge issues with Stellar when updating RetroArch and the Cores. If I update with Cores only, it's fine, but if RetroArch has a stable update, or if I want to update the Nightly (Which is what I use), It usually does something to my RetroArch where it doesn't load. I'm not sure if it corrupting it, or what, but I can never trust it to update the program itself and just use it to update the cores only.

Use Firefox + extensions: Flashgot & Downthemall

Link: http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86_64/latest/  or (32bits only): http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86/

1 - Retroarch: Just download Daily_Retroarch.7z

2 - Cores: Go to latest folder, right click, Flashgot all, select zip files, download, extract replace all on cores folder . Done

Claudio

6 hours ago, TheMadMan007 said:

I've had huge issues with Stellar when updating RetroArch and the Cores. If I update with Cores only, it's fine, but if RetroArch has a stable update, or if I want to update the Nightly (Which is what I use), It usually does something to my RetroArch where it doesn't load. I'm not sure if it corrupting it, or what, but I can never trust it to update the program itself and just use it to update the cores only.

sometimes when Retroarch gets updated yo need to get the updated "Redist" package as well as some .dll's get changed or added. There is a option in stellar to grab the Redist as well, so if it doesn't load after a update that is probably why, in that case grab the redist as well and it should work.