LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox Freezing

dbinott

I have about 2100 arcade games, 3 daphne games. When I start BigBox, it gets to the point of showing the systems, but then just freezes. There is no activity in the task manager for it either. no CPU, Disk etc.

I moved away from RPi with RetroPie for this, so I am hoping I can get this to work for my bartop?

My Specs

CPU

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300Y CPU @ 1.60GHz

Base speed:    1.60 GHz
    Sockets:    1
    Cores:    2
    Logical processors:    4
    Virtualization:    Disabled
    Hyper-V support:    Yes
    L1 cache:    128 KB
    L2 cache:    512 KB
    L3 cache:    3.0 MB

Utilization    15%
    Speed    1.88 GHz

Memory

8.0 GB DDR3

Speed:    1600 MHz
    Slots used:    2 of 2
    Form factor:    SODIMM
    Hardware reserved:    95.0 MB

Available    4.4 GB
    Cached    3.6 GB

Is there any chance you can add a graphics card to your system ? It doesn't need to be anything fancy at all, just a cheap low profile one with 1 gig of gddr5 vram on it, shouldn't cost more than 30-40$.

It would help out quite a lot but in the meantime in BigBox try turning off all the transition effects and set your image quality to medium. There are some performance tips which may help you in this thread here if you haven't seen it already.

You shouldn't be getting freezes though, @Jason Carr has been testing BigBox on a GPD Win which is pretty low end hardware and aiming to get it running well with certain settings.

By chance did run a complete install of it on the tablet @dbinott? If you synced it via Dropbox or something instead it may just be missing some DirectX libraries or something. It's odd that it would be locking up immediately after starting up, though; I've actually never heard of that before. The next thing I would try after that is making sure your 100% up to date on Windows updates and that you have all the latest drivers (especially video).