LaunchBox Community Forums

8.1 taking 5 minutes or more to load

cammelspit

Now 8.1 final isn't loading properly and is slow as molasses in a snow storm going uphill. I open LB but it gets into a near-permanent loop on 'loading interface'. I even stopped updating to betas just to make 100% sure I didn't have to redo all my metadata from scratch again like I did with 8.0. I did literally nothing but allow the update process to happen for the official final versions, not the betas. Ill include my data folder again. As the title suggests it does eventually load but this last time it took almost 5 whole minutes to start up and I have added not one new game to LB so it's not like my collection ballooned out to a substantially larger size recently that could explain it. @Jason Carr anything you would like me to try for troubleshooting?

Data.zip

Good morning @cammelspit,

I hope you don't mind but I thought I'd give your Data folder a try against a new installation of LaunchBox 8.1.
After installing LB 8.1, I simply replaced the data folder with the one you provided then copied the resulting folder from my workstation (old PC) to my Arcade Cabinet (newer PC). I then started LaunchBox on each PC and monitored the time it took to see the list of games.
Here are the results:

• Workstation (Old PC)
  • Windows 10 (x64)
  • Intel Core i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz / 8GB RAM
  • LaunchBox 8.1 installed on HDD 5400RPM 1TB WD Green drive
  • LaunchBox Startup Time: 52 sec

• Arcade Cabinet (Newer PC)
  • Windows 10 (x64)
  • Intel Core i5 4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz / 16GB RAM
  • LaunchBox 8.1 installed on 1TB SSD
  • LaunchBox Startup Time: 19 sec

Although the startup time was not as bad as what you experienced, I did noticed that interacting within your instance of LaunchBox was lagging and hesitating quite a bit compared to my instance. Keep in mind that my LB settings are mostly set to defaults.

Hope this helps a bit.

@Pacman56 Ah, I didn't even think to play with the settings. That's a good idea because that has been the cause of shenanigans before in the past. Thanks for giving it a go for me. I'll do some random settings changes to see if there is something there that is doing it. I'll do that later on today and report back if I find anything.

@ckp My LB is installed on the same drive that my Steam games are on, I actually did try putting it on several other of my drives and didn't notice any change, including my OS SSD. I think I can probably rule drive failure out.

13 minutes ago, cammelspit said:

@Pacman56 Ah, I didn't even think to play with the settings. That's a good idea because that has been the cause of shenanigans before in the past. Thanks for giving it a go for me. I'll do some random settings changes to see if there is something there that is doing it. I'll do that later on today and report back if I find anything.

@ckp My LB is installed on the same drive that my Steam games are on, I actually did try putting it on several other of my drives and didn't notice any change, including my OS SSD. I think I can probably rule drive failure out.

Just copy your lanchbox settings.xml out of the folder and Launchbox will load with defaults, you can of course just drop it back in after.