LaunchBox Community Forums

Deleted Media question

alnyden

I've replaced some of my marquee artwork with higher resolution images.  In the process, I deleted the old files.  However, when I select the game in Bigbox, I can see BOTH images are still in the system.  (It randomly picks one).  The only way I can get rid of it is to use the "Edit" function in Launchbox and select "remove image".  What I don't understand is, how is it still associated with the game if I've deleted the file?  Does it have anything to do with "Populate all images" in Bigbox?  Looking for a simple way to get rid of any images not in the "Arcade - Marquee" folder.

Thanks!

R

1 minute ago, 1stKaiser said:

I was just having that problem the other day haha. Its a cache thing. Just go to your Big Box menu > Options > Image Cache & refresh your platform images.

Just tried that but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the Marquee images.  What if I delete the cache and re-do the force populate?

Just now, alnyden said:

Just tried that but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the Marquee images.  What if I delete the cache and re-do the force populate?

Before you try that, just wait to see if the person I tagged has any advice, I know he uses marquees, I don't. I would refrain from just refreshing unless its actually needed. Or if a actual moderator recommends it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cannot say that I have had this happen. Although I do not regularly replace images. I just tested deleting about 20 images from a platform marquee and replacing with other images. The files showed the new image in BigBox and even when going into Launchbox and editing the games it no longer showed the old marquee. 

You have your marquee images in the actual marquee folder of the platform correct? Can you let me know a particular system you had the issue and I can test? When this occurred was it when deleting some images files and replacing those or was it when you deleted all the image files in the marquee and replaced all? Any chance you had Launchbox open when doing this?

Also just want to confirm you only have one instance of Launchbox on your pc, correct? We have seen issues and then come to find out that person had a second instance of LB on the pc and that was causing the issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

You have your marquee images in the actual marquee folder of the platform correct?

Yes.

Can you let me know a particular system you had the issue and I can test? 

Mame.

When this occurred was it when deleting some images files and replacing those or was it when you deleted all the image files in the marquee and replaced all?

Some.

Any chance you had Launchbox open when doing this?

It's possible it was open.  I can't remember.  :) 

Also just want to confirm you only have one instance of Launchbox on your pc, correct? We have seen issues and then come to find out that person had a second instance of LB on the pc and that was causing the issue. 

Only one Launchbox on my PC.

Thanks for your help!

R

@alnyden OK so I tested and for the most part I had no issues. Removing the images and copying in the new ones worked just as it should.

However, I did catch two instances it did not work in the 30 images I replaced. The reason was that in the mame marquee folder (Arcade platform in my case) there will be region subfolders Asia, Europe, North America, United States, etc.. In the cases it did not work right I had a marquee image in the root folder and the same image in the region subfolder. So I was actually only deleting one instance. Not sure if this is why it occurs for you. Does your arcade (mame) marquee folder have the region subfolders? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

@alnyden OK so I tested and for the most part I had no issues. Removing the images and copying in the new ones worked just as it should.

However, I did catch two instances it did not work in the 30 images I replaced. The reason was that in the mame marquee folder (Arcade platform in my case) there will be region subfolders Asia, Europe, North America, United States, etc.. In the cases it did not work right I had a marquee image in the root folder and the same image in the region subfolder. So I was actually only deleting one instance. Not sure if this is why it occurs for you. Does your arcade (mame) marquee folder have the region subfolders? 

That makes a lot of sense. for someone who doesn't use marquees, its the same in every other image folder also.

I think we have a winner. :) 

7 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I do have those folders, but they are all empty, so I don't think that's the issue.  You don't think it's the cache?  Also, if LB had been open when I deleted the files, what would that have done?

Thanks again,

R

11 minutes ago, alnyden said:

I do have those folders, but they are all empty, so I don't think that's the issue.  You don't think it's the cache?  Also, if LB had been open when I deleted the files, what would that have done?

Thanks again,

R

Yeah, I was not sure if it would be the issue for you. Any time you change images refreshing the cache is really all you need. 

Having LB open really would not have done anything. This is really only an issue when deleting an xml file for like a playlist. LB if open will still retain it. I was just going to try and replicate your exact steps. But you never know odder things have happened. 

7 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Yeah, I was not sure if it would be the issue for you. Any time you change images refreshing the cache is really all you need. 

Having LB open really would not have done anything. This is really only an issue when deleting an xml file for like a playlist. LB if open will still retain it. I was just going to try and replicate your exact steps. But you never know odder things have happened. 

Correct, I was just checking that the program wasn't open when you deleted folders, or files within. because that wouldn't work. They would likely repopulate on next start of the program.

@alnyden OK so I tried a bunch of different things to get it to do what is happening on your system and I cannot replicate. I even tried on a couple machines I have set up. They all changed the image as it should. In most cases I did not even need to refresh the cache. The new image just showed. Leaving Launchbox open had no affect. Not sure what is causing your issue. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

@alnyden OK so I tried a bunch of different things to get it to do what is happening on your system and I cannot replicate. I even tried on a couple machines I have set up. They all changed the image as it should. In most cases I did not even need to refresh the cache. The new image just showed. Leaving Launchbox open had no affect. Not sure what is causing your issue. 

Do you think the version of Launchbox being ran might have anything to do with this situation?

Also, is there a chance that the Windows cache itself could be causing the problem with Launchbox?

Edited by 1stKaiser

2 minutes ago, 1stKaiser said:

Do you think the version of Launchbox being ran might have anything to do with this situation?

Also, is there a chance that the Windows cache itself could be causing the problem with Launchbox?

The test pc I have always uses the latest beta and the actual set-up machines are on different versions from each other so likely not a version issue unless it is a pretty old version than possibly.