LaunchBox Community Forums

MS-Dos Games Problem

The Papaw

I am not sure if this is even related to being the beta version. (I'm runnning Beta v8.2.6)

I did not have any MS-DOS games in my library. Today I added some. I took a couple and tested them using the built-in DosBox and they run fine. I then tested the same games in RetroArch v1.71 (using the DosBox core) and they run fine. 

But if I try running them from Launchbox, using RetroArch as the emulator, they fail. 

I have set up the Associated Platform as MS-DOS > Default Command as: -L "cores\dosbox_libretro" and check as default emulator. I don't think I am missing anything.

I also make sure LB is executing the same file as RA is.

Any ideas or is it a beta bug?

22 minutes ago, Wanderer189 said:

I am not sure if this is even related to being the beta version. (I'm runnning Beta v8.2.6)

I did not have any MS-DOS games in my library. Today I added some. I took a couple and tested them using the built-in DosBox and they run fine. I then tested the same games in RetroArch v1.71 (using the DosBox core) and they run fine. 

But if I try running them from Launchbox, using RetroArch as the emulator, they fail. 

I have set up the Associated Platform as MS-DOS > Default Command as: -L "cores\dosbox_libretro" and check as default emulator. I don't think I am missing anything.

I also make sure LB is executing the same file as RA is.

Any ideas or is it a beta bug?

You're not giving enough information here. Are you actually indicating in LB that you want to use DOSBox for them (default behavior for DOS games)? Because, if so, you shouldn't; not if you're planning on using RA. You'd need to uncheck the DOSBox checkbox first, then go to the emulation tab and select Retroarch as the emulator. You'd also likely need to create a .conf for the specific game with the correct start commands (mounting paths, etc.).

Generally you can't just have a core in your associated platforms and fire up a DOS game like anything else. It's not like throwing a SNES game at it. I actually don't recommend using RA for DOS as it's 1) more convoluted than working with standalone DOSBox and 2) has some significant limitations not present in standalone DOSBox like not having access to virtual midi devices like Munt and VirtualMidiSynth 3) has a really awful way of handling cycles. That said, if you really must use RA for it, the way I usually do this is by adding it as an additional app, with the default being set to use standard DOSBox.

So, in this case, the launcher tab is directed to the game .exe, the use DOSBox box is checked in the DOSBox tab, and I've directed it to the .conf that I've created for the game:

image.thumb.png.9964caefddae3a570fbebe834281a2ee.png

image.thumb.png.8b54452d0f135d0260e9e9bdae0c5bbf.pngThen, in the Additional Apps tab, I've added an app for Retroarch. I've named it "Retroarch", directed it to the separate .conf that I've created for the game for RA, and I have Retroarch selected as the emulator.
image.thumb.png.db81a9c719096c4ab5e0c69be6b510d7.pngimage.thumb.png.d87b27f4349db949d02df8d54baf8b6c.pngNow I can start the game normally and get normal DOSBox or right-click on it and select Retroarch and start it there.

image.thumb.png.45a972debfbf19d62735f46decd736fd.pngIf you were to only use RA, you'd need to uncheck the "Use DOSBox" box in the DOSBox tab, then select the .conf (or .exe, though this won't always work) in the Launcher tab, and select Retroarch in the Emulation tab.

11 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

You're not giving enough information here. Are you actually indicating in LB that you want to use DOSBox for them (default behavior for DOS games)? Because, if so, you shouldn't; not if you're planning on using RA. You'd need to uncheck the DOSBox checkbox first, then go to the emulation tab and select Retroarch as the emulator. You'd also likely need to create a .conf for the specific game with the correct start commands (mounting paths, etc.).

Generally you can't just have a core in your associated platforms and fire up a DOS game like anything else. It's not like throwing a SNES game at it. I actually don't recommend using RA for DOS as it's 1) more convoluted than working with standalone DOSBox and 2) has some significant limitations not present in standalone DOSBox like not having access to virtual midi devices like Munt and VirtualMidiSynth 3) has a really awful way of handling cycles. That said, if you really must use RA for it, the way I usually do this is by adding it as an additional app, with the default being set to use standard DOSBox.

So, in this case, the launcher tab is directed to the game .exe, the use DOSBox box is checked in the DOSBox tab, and I've directed it to the .conf that I've created for the game:

Then, in the Additional Apps tab, I've added an app for Retroarch. I've named it "Retroarch", directed it to the separate .conf that I've created for the game for RA, and I have Retroarch selected as the emulator.
Now I can start the game normally and get normal DOSBox or right-click on it and select Retroarch and start it there.

If you were to only use RA, you'd need to uncheck the "Use DOSBox" box in the DOSBox tab, then select the .conf (or .exe, though this won't always work) in the Launcher tab, and select Retroarch in the Emulation tab.

@Zombeaver: Thanks for the in-depth reply. I have everything installed on a RAID drive on a PC, but I never play on the PC, I have 20,000+ games installed (almost 6tb). and I use Moonlight on my Android TV boxes to stream everything to 3 different TV's/big screens.

When streaming, RetroArch is a life saver as far as exiting games, configuring options & game pad settings, etc.. Of course a few systems, I prefer to use a different emulator instead of Reteoarch, but I can still use a hotkey script to exit a game with a game pad and return to LB.

I was hoping to use Retroarch for a couple reasons, some as being mentioned above, but another is when you launch DOS games in Retorarch, the gamepad will work as a mouse without anything extra, So even if I launch a game that does not have joystick support, it can be playable with a game pad. And with a mini keyboard, I can jump into the RA settings and map or change a couple buttons to my likings, save that game profile in RA and not have to worry about it and it is good to go on all the streaming devices. 

I have tried the last thing you listed"
"If you were to only use RA, you'd need to uncheck the "Use DOSBox" box in the DOSBox tab, then select the .conf (or .exe, though this won't always work) in the Launcher tab, and select Retroarch in the Emulation tab."

Here is an example using King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown - This game does not require any installation.

Okay if using the built-in DosBox, LaunchBox is executing the file "Sierra.com" with nothing else added, no config files, etc. - it works as expected (keyboard only).

If I go to Retroarch and load the same file "Sierra.com" with nothing else added, no config files, etc., - it works as expected with keyboard and game pad acting as mouse.

If I go into LaunchBox, uncheck the "Use DOSBox and choose Retroarch as the emulator it fails to start. 

Since the same loading file (Sierra.com) works both ways, I suppose that is what is confusing me. Why when LB is simply calling Retroarch, it fails? Neither of them are using any special Command Lines or config files

I know DOS & MAME games are a pain as far as configuration, and individual game settings. (I have been working on my MAME collection for weeks using Retorarch, but is working great when each game is configured in RA)

I thought about using the built in DosBox in Launchbox and maybe something like joytokey to map the controller, but if I remember correctly, this will not work when your streaming, I can't remember??

1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

have you added the dosbox platform to Retroarch emulator setting in LB I know the commandline for that core isn't included in the default LB settings

@DOS76, yes have added the associated platform MS-DOS and using "-L "cores\dosbox_libretro" in the Default Command Line Parameters in the emulator settings

4 hours ago, Wanderer189 said:

Okay if using the built-in DosBox, LaunchBox is executing the file "Sierra.com" with nothing else added, no config files, etc. - it works as expected (keyboard only).

If I go to Retroarch and load the same file "Sierra.com" with nothing else added, no config files, etc., - it works as expected with keyboard and game pad acting as mouse.

If I go into LaunchBox, uncheck the "Use DOSBox and choose Retroarch as the emulator it fails to start. 

Since the same loading file (Sierra.com) works both ways, I suppose that is what is confusing me. Why when LB is simply calling Retroarch, it fails? Neither of them are using any special Command Lines or config files

It's working fine here, both in standalone and RA.

You'll need to send some screenshots.

I need to see 1) the Launcher tab for the game 2) the DOSBox tab for the game 3) the emulation tab for the game and 4) the associated platform tab of your Retroarch emulator entry with the command line shown for MS-DOS.

4 hours ago, Wanderer189 said:

I thought about using the built in DosBox in Launchbox and maybe something like joytokey to map the controller, but if I remember correctly, this will not work when your streaming, I can't remember??

Things like joy2key and xpadder generally don't work over streaming services like Steam in-home streaming/Steam Link unless you're using VirtualHere (which has its own share of issues). DOSBox's own built-in mapper is quite robust, however, when it comes to remapping inputs and should work over streaming. It's accessible via Ctrl+F1 while DOSBox is running. If you want different mapping for different games you're going to need to create separate .confs directed to different map files. You really should be creating individual .confs anyway, to be honest with you. Many games need different settings and there's not just a one-size-fits-all setting solution when it comes to DOS games.

@Zombeaver: As I previously stated, it works fine for me too, both in standalone DosBox, Built-in DosBox and RA.

It doesn't work when I try launching it in LB using RA as the emulator, it simply hides LB, (then fails to launch), then un-hides LB

Here are the settings:

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Untitled4.jpg

It is the same for any Dos game I try to use RA as the emulator. 

Edited by Wanderer189

10 minutes ago, Wanderer189 said:

@Zombeaver: As I previously stated, it works fine for me too, both in standalone DosBox, Built-in DosBox and RA.

I'm talking about launching standalone and RA through Launchbox. It works fine.

10 minutes ago, Wanderer189 said:

Untitled4.jpg

You uh... might wanna try adding a .dll at the end of your core there...

• 4 months later...

The only problems I've ever had was that in some games when using something of a modern controller such as a 360, XBO, PS3 type of controller you'll have calibration issues in which the game thinks the left analog in "Joystick 1" and the right analog is "Joystick 2" and even considers A & B buttons as "Joystick 1 Buttons 1 & 2" while X & Y buttons get considered "Joystick 2 Button 1 & 2" to where playing 2 Player games can sometimes be such a hassle in which you have to kinda make things set to Keyboard and just Joy-to-Key everything in which some cases for games using more than 2 button commands such as various classic First Person Shooters it's probably better to do. Not sure what the LaunchBox Team can do about 1 controller acting as 2 and all..but would rock if they found a way to fix that.

The other issue with some MS-DOS games is that they will now go faster than usual to an unplayable state that you die from the start. Not sure this is something the LaunchBox Team could do much about since this is within another program and not so much the launcher..but if they could find a way to fix that too..then it would also rock. I have much faith in all that the LaunchBox Team does to help make things as comfortable in having our most beloved games feel as they should in some way or another though

3 hours ago, RULLUR said:

Not sure what the LaunchBox Team can do about 1 controller acting as 2 and all..but would rock if they found a way to fix that.

Nothing. Launchbox doesn't have any direct interaction with the emulators. DOSBox has more direct integration into Launchbox than most emulators, but it still comes down to whatever settings you tell DOSBox to use.

If you use a 360/XB1 controller, you need to edit your dosbox.conf and change joysticktype=auto to joysticktype=fcs and timed=true to timed=false. I use both XB1 and 360 controllers with DOSBox and never have the issue you're describing. If the game itself doesn't support controllers natively, you can use DOSBox's mapper function by pressing CTRL+F1 to remap as needed.

3 hours ago, RULLUR said:

The other issue with some MS-DOS games is that they will now go faster than usual to an unplayable state that you die from the start.

Then you need to adjust the cycles for that game. Again, this has nothing to do with Launchbox itself. Generally setting the cycles to auto is a good place to start. You should create a DOSBox .conf for each game as there's no one-size-fits-all setting solution for DOS games. Just edit the game in your library, go to the DOSBox tab, and in the field to specify the .conf, click the "create new" button - this will duplicate your base dosbox.conf and let you edit settings for that specific game. If cycles=auto doesn't work, set it to something like 10,000 and then press CTRL+F12 to increase and CTRL+F11 to decrease them until you find something that works well. If you press ALT+enter to make DOSBox run in a window, it will show the current cycle on the window's title bar. Once you find a good number, put that into the game's .conf.

• Like 1