LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame Core Download in RA

dov_EL

I use a romset of MAME 0.195, and luckily I also have the CORE of MAME 0.195.
However, I realized that in retroarch have already updated to the core 0.196, and then my question is: if the core of MAME are constantly updated, and if I lose the core of the 0.195 version, how do I find the core again with this version number of MAME?

The Mame cores are updated along with the official updates, if you have the core that matches your set already you shouldn't update the RA core without knowing that you may run into possible problems.

As for re-obtaining the 195 core you can ask around and see if anyone else still has the 195 core or you can get the source code from the Libretro site and compile your own.

For each core you can also make a copy and put the version in the name so if it some how ends up updated and causing you issues you can fix it by overwriting the other core. Truthfully from knowing what has changed from 0.195 to 0.196 a very large majority of your 0.195 games would still work if you had the 0.196 core.

• Like 1

I think this is a fairly serious problem of retroarch, luckily I did the Backup of MAME 0.185 Core and Mame 0.195 which are the two romset I normally use.

It should be that libretto should offer the possibility to download all the cores that have been available over time.

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 8:21 PM, Lordmonkus said:

While I agree it would be nice to have downloads of previous versions of cores there is nothing forcing you to update the cores and the source code is available for people to compile their own previous builds.

Of course, but if I lose the core files? I could never recover it, and this would be a big problem.
Fortunately, I do backups on Onedrive

Oh I know. I'm like you, I could probably figure it out if I bothered to look into it, i'm just saying that the option is there if it's that important to someone, or they could just use the stand alone build of Mame since all the old versions are available.

Perhaps someone can take it upon themselves to create a backup site of previous RA core builds.

• 3 months later...