LaunchBox Community Forums

C64 - Your Setup?

djsim101

Hi All, hope all is well. I am just wondering do many of you have the C64 setup in LB \ BB?  There are so many keyboard combos, just wondering has anybody got around this using a joypad setup only, or is it possible? A lot of games require a keyboard input to start them :-)

Thanks All

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 4:17 PM, Zombeaver said:

JoyToKey and Controller Companion are both good but one problem with those which may or may not matter to you is that they don't work via Steam Link / Steam In-Home Streaming. As a matter of fact, Winvice and Hoxs64 themselves don't work via Steam Link / In-Home Streaming either. CCS64 and AHK scripts in LB do.

I have tried so many times to get this to work with xbox 1 Bluetooth controller no luck I dont think the test script works right for me as well using controller companion at the mo but would like to use ahk if i can  

10 hours ago, orac31 said:

I have tried so many times to get this to work with xbox 1 Bluetooth controller no luck I dont think the test script works right for me as well using controller companion at the mo but would like to use ahk if i can  

I use a USB Dongle with my XB1 controller and it works with that, but I've been told that AHK doesn't recognize inputs over bluetooth, so that's likely the issue.

That said, you can still use a bluetooth controller if you go through the admittedly rather convoluted route of using DOSBox to run the DOS version of CCS64 and using DOSBox's own built-in mapper function rather than AHK for remapping. I've actually started converting my stuff over to that format for other reasons - I actually prefer the DOS version of CCS64 for a few reasons - but it requires some extra work, done one at a time per game. I do still use AHK in the specific scenario of multi-disk games to handle the disk switching, but otherwise it's just using DOSBox. I use a .bat for each game to start DOSBox + a specific .conf which is then directed to the rom. Each game is divided into its own folder, so you have a folder for the game, which contains a .bat a .conf and a rom. You start the bat and it does the rest. If you want an example of this, I have a curated collection of games that use this format on my website, and there's an import-only version which can be imported into existing LB libraries.

I've been in the process of converting my entire library of C64 stuff over to this format, but it's a time-consuming process.

I'll just copy this from the notes I have on the site:

"I'm using the DOS version of the emulator CCS64 for this. Why use a nearly 20-year-old emulator in a DOS emulator for some kind of weird emulation-Inception madness? Well, because CCS64 has an extremely handy feature called Maximum 1541 Speed which is essentially an auto-warp (fast forward) feature that automatically starts when it detects data is being read (loading) and then automatically turns off once it's complete. There are quite a few good emulators out there for C64 emulation like Hoxs64, Vice, and micro64, but none that I've ever tried (and I've tried many) have had this specific feature, and I can't overstate how useful it is. If you have any familiarity with the C64, you'll know that by far the worst part of the experience is the load times, and this does an excellent job of mitigating that. Why use the DOS version? Because, frankly, the newer versions have a number of issues on modern versions of Windows (pretty much everything beyond XP) that simply aren't present in the DOS version in DOSBox. With DOSBox Daum I can force a specific vsync rate of 50.125hz (the refresh rate of the C64) and use the excellent mapper function to add lots of useful functions to the controller, like joystick port swapping, making certain buttons send commonly used keys like spacebar, etc.

Believe me, there are significantly simpler and less time-consuming options that I could have gone with - I went this route because I thought it was the best experience overall."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Im trying with winvice and figured out joystick  settings for keyboard settings got it to work but every time i cofigure keyset a and exit winvice it dosen't save?

I have to make same changes every time i start winvice?

Edited by Zeaede

24 minutes ago, Zeaede said:

Im trying with winvice and figured out joystick  settings for keyboard settings got it to work but every time i cofigure keyset a and exit winvice it dosen't save?

I have to make same changes every time i start winvice?

Just checking something first, did you check "Save settings on exit"? (at the bottom of the settings menu)

2 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

Just checking something first, did you check "Save settings on exit"? (at the bottom of the settings menu)

I got it to work

Was a couple of options in the settings menu

I gave up RA on this tried a couple of C64 emulators but winvice now when i got keyboards working seems to be the best?

Thanks for help

1 minute ago, Zeaede said:

I got it to work

Was a couple of options in the settings menu

I gave up RA on this tried a couple of C64 emulators but winvice now when i got keyboards working seems to be the best?

Thanks for help

No problem! And be sure to check the latest updates on the vice nightly page if something is broke or not working properly 

http://vice.pokefinder.org/?

One issue with winvice

I obviosuly have this full screen bug

https://sourceforge.net/p/vice-emu/bugs/960/

R-click on any and all VICE .EXEs that you use in fullscreen > Properties > Compatability tab > under Settings, tick the checkbox check ON for Disable fullscreen optimizations[/quote ]

OK i got it sorted out too

Edited by Zeaede

Im using winvice for C64

With most games you only need to press space or esc to  continue to main menu of a game

But with some games like last ninja i have no clue how starting it? Im stucked where you see the ninja face with music in the background

But have no clue how to start game with what button?

I also noticed some emulators runs games different if you play same game with winvice ccs64 or Hoxs?

Edited by Zeaede

On 5/17/2018 at 6:32 AM, Zeaede said:

Im using winvice for C64

With most games you only need to press space or esc to  continue to main menu of a game

But with some games like last ninja i have no clue how starting it? Im stucked where you see the ninja face with music in the background

But have no clue how to start game with what button?

I also noticed some emulators runs games different if you play same game with winvice ccs64 or Hoxs?

Hi Zeaede, 

I would suggest downloading the vice-2.4.8.dinkmods.speedysl.v.95 version. With this version, you can modify the defualt keyset to whatever you want. I use this version in conjunction with joytokey and can play all my favourite games using a Xbox360 and no keyboard

I am nearly finished my LB setup of the C64, and have 2 outstanding questions that I am hoping you can help me with.  I am using Winvice as my emulator.  

1) Anyone have any luck getting carts to auto-load  (crt images) ? I see it is possible with the -cartcrt option (Winvice forums) but when I try to put it in to the emulator options in LB, I get an error message. 

2) I use joytokey.exe with Winvice. Is there any way within LB that I can run this program when I launch winvice and close it when I exit winvice? 

Thanks as always

On 5/21/2018 at 10:36 PM, djsim101 said:

Hi Zeaede, 

I would suggest downloading the vice-2.4.8.dinkmods.speedysl.v.95 version. With this version, you can modify the defualt keyset to whatever you want. I use this version in conjunction with joytokey and can play all my favourite games using a Xbox360 and no keyboard

Thanks for suggestion, after trying out CCS64 HOXS64 and 64forever, i tried winvice 1.6 and and i got keyboard settings to work and it does play widescreen like i want it

Have tried getting on with vic-20, it have 4 different formats, tap format seems to work well but not prg format many games ends up with syntax error message?