LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch 1.7.3 not working on LaunchBox

d_dearlet

7 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah I'm really confused. OK we are going to delete and re-import the platform, don't worry it will only take a couple of minutes as you will already have all the images.

Right click the platform in the left bar and delete. Then go to tools/import go through the wizard as normal, when you get to the image download window click the "select none" button as you don't need any of it this time, when you get to the option to move or copy your roms click the "use in current location" option and let it import. then try one.

OK, I've deleted the platform. Reimported the rom and chose "use current locaton". The game was imported successfully, unfortunately it's still not running.

Edited by d_dearlet
Spelling

13 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you rename your rom to Castlevania3.nes and update your path in LB?

The only thing I've ever had any issues out of when it comes to special characters in the filename (brackets, apostrophe, etc.) of games launched through LB is with CCS64, but seeing that filename and nothing else that looks particularly out of place makes me curious.

Hi, I renamed the rom to Castlevania3.nes and updated the path in LB, but still it doesn't run. What looks odd though is that weird path LB assigns when pointing it to the rom. Anyway, I manually rewrote the path correctly to c:\nes\catlevania3.nes, and it's a no go. Tried it again through Nestopia choosing it on the emulation tab and it runs ok. 

newname.png

Edited by d_dearlet
Spelling

When I right click on the game and use the "Launch with..." option and chose "Retroarch..." the game won't run (nothing happens), when I choose "Nestopia..." instead the rom runs ok. This gets me thinking I must be doing something wrong with the Retroarch setup, but I, for the love of god, don't know what. Now the rom runs perfectly fine directly from Retroarch using the same core setup within LB. So what gives?

I'll delete retroarch and re-add it through Tools\Manage Emulators... and try with a different core (already downloaded in RA of course) in Associated Platforms. I'll try mesen as that is what Neil9000 is using successfully in his video. And then get back to you guys. Thanks in advance for your help and time.

launchwith.png

Edited by d_dearlet
Added Image

There's nothing unusual about the path assuming your Launchbox is four levels deep from C:\ It's just a relative path.

No folder listed = Launchbox directory

..\ = Up one folder from Launchbox directory

..\..\ = Up two folders from Launchbox directory etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Zombeaver said:

There's nothing unusual about the path assuming your Launchbox is four levels deep from C:\ It's just a relative path.

No folder listed = Launchbox directory

..\ = Up one folder from Launchbox directory

..\..\ = Up two folders from Launchbox directory etc.

That makes sense. LB is for a fact four levels deep from c:\. :D 

OK. I deleted RA from Tools\manage emulators. Re-added it, on the Associated Platforms I changed the core from nestopia to mesen. I made sure the mesen core was downloaded in RA and actually tested it with the c:\nes\castlevania3.nes game and it runs fine. Unfortunately the game won't launch from within LB using retroarch. I tried again the Launch With... and chose Nestopia, to see if anything else could be wrong, but the standalone emulator just works, not RA.

mesenii.png

mesen.png

Edited by d_dearlet
Spelling

6 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Can you humour me and move your launchbox folder out of downloads to the desktop, then edit the rom path and try again.

OK I moved my launchbox folder to my desktop. The rom path is still c:\nes\castlevania3.nes. It won't run. I even right clicked the launchbox.exe and ran it as the administratior (just in case the issue is a "privileges" one).  Nothing. :(

I have completely uninstalled and deleted LB and RA. I reinstalled LB directly to c:\launchbox and reinstalled RA to c:\launchbox\emulators\retroarch. I have setup again RA within LB. Set the mesen core, but it won't run the game. Just to be clear, I downloaded the mesen core within RA and tested it on the game and it ran fine (directly on RA I mean). I also setup standalone Nestopia in LB too and that emulator runs ok. I don't know what else to try. Could it be a setting within RA itself? The only thing that I've modified is setting it to run fullscreen  upon opening. 

Edited by d_dearlet
Clarification

OK. I'm beginning to see a ray of light. To try something else I've imported the SNES game Super Mario World. I did try to run that game before, but it didn't work (using the snes9x core). This time around I tried the snes9x2010 core as I remembered reading somewhere in the forums that someone managed to run their snes roms with that specific core. And lo and behold it worked! I can now load snes games in RA through LB with that particular core. So how could this be? Does that mean I need to try every single NES core until I find one that works? And how come Neil9000 runs his NES games with mesen just fine, but I can't? If the cores run well directly within RA they should work from LB too. Is there anything else I can try to make RA run with all the cores from within LB just as it directly does?

Wait! Everything seems to be in working order now. I tried to launch yet again the castlevania3.nes rom and it worked. I've tried a couple of different cores and they all seem to be working (nestopia and mesen). I retried the snes9x core and it worked too. I guess reinstalling everything did something after all. What baffles me is that at first after reinstalling the game didn't load and now it does. I didn't do anything different. I would love to know what the culprit to all of this was so that could potentially help other users if they run into a similar issue. Anyway you guys rock! Thank you for your kind help. I'm off to get bigbox mode now. Sweet!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Stumbled upon the same problem - tried fresh install, reimport. Nothing. RA doesn't want to launch a rom. I also peformed some preliminary tuning on RA, like gfx, controlls, audio... standard.... Re-doing everything from scratch is quite not cool to do again for me.... any ideas what can be wrong? 

One thing to note - I have roms on the mapped network drive (Z:\) which is on the nas, but it has all required rights to read/write, also LaunchBox parsed the roms just fine from there.

Previous versions of LaunchBox worked well, same as RA, just repeated the setup with "fresh" versions of everything - new HTPC box.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 11:22 AM, tomeq_ said:

Hi all,

Stumbled upon the same problem - tried fresh install, reimport. Nothing. RA doesn't want to launch a rom. I also peformed some preliminary tuning on RA, like gfx, controlls, audio... standard.... Re-doing everything from scratch is quite not cool to do again for me.... any ideas what can be wrong? 

One thing to note - I have roms on the mapped network drive (Z:\) which is on the nas, but it has all required rights to read/write, also LaunchBox parsed the roms just fine from there.

Previous versions of LaunchBox worked well, same as RA, just repeated the setup with "fresh" versions of everything - new HTPC box.

Hi, I had the same problem when trying to get the RetroArch - NeoGeo Pocket Color core to work and found this thread. Nothing worked for me but in the end I just started trying everything. I had to put the core default line in both Associated Platforms (like it says on the YouTube tutorials) and also add it to the Emulator Details:

same.png.1271958f26c328ed40843c86ed74e3cb.png

Once it was in both places, it worked. Hope that helps you.

1 minute ago, 4ppleseed said:

Hi, I had the same problem when trying to get the RetroArch - NeoGeo Pocket Color core to work and found this thread. Nothing worked for me but in the end I just started trying everything. I had to put the core default line in both Associated Platforms (like it says on the YouTube tutorials) and also add it to the Emulator Details:

You dont need to add that there that is what the associated platform tab is for. If you add it where you have retroarch wont work for other systems as it will always load the neo geo pocket core.

I think what may be happening here is you were previously using a different emulator maybe, or a Retroarch with a different path, in which case you need to bulk edit the games to use a different emulator, just adding it and putting in the platform wont automatically change the emulator the games use. Click on a game in the platform then use CTRL A to highlight all the games in the platform, right click one and go to edit, this will open the bulk edit wizard. Click next, then in the first dropdown pick emulator, then in the second pich the actual emulator you want to use, finish out the wizard and try loading a game.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 10:29 PM, 4ppleseed said:

I had the same problem on the latest .Next build, but I found an alt way to fix it.

You don't need to fill in either Default or Extra CL Parameters. Just right-click on a game -> Edit -> Emulation -> Check "Use Custom CL Parameters" -> Type the corresponding parameters.

You need to do the same for every single game, but it's guaranteed to work, even if you use RA for multiple platforms (as in my case).

7 hours ago, ww97 said:

I had the same problem on the latest .Next build, but I found an alt way to fix it.

You don't need to fill in either Default or Extra CL Parameters. Just right-click on a game -> Edit -> Emulation -> Check "Use Custom CL Parameters" -> Type the corresponding parameters.

You need to do the same for every single game, but it's guaranteed to work, even if you use RA for multiple platforms (as in my case).

Why would you do this ?

Just use the dropdown core selection and pick the core you want for whatever platform you are wanting to assign a core.

• 3 months later...

Apologies for replying to this old thread but I stumbled on it due to having the exact same problem. I was working with a fresh install of LB and RA and just followed the LB tutorial for adding RA to everything. The first platform I brought over was the original GameBoy. I had downloaded the required cores on RA and set up full screen mode but the games wouldn't launch. I pulled over a GameBoy Color rom and that started without issue. With following this thread and the fact that the color game worked I took a closer look at the associated platforms on the RA emulator and noticed that it only had the GameBoy Color listed but not the GameBoy. I added the GameBoy at the bottom of the list, associated the necessary core and bingo.

I hope this helps someone in future cause it wasn't an obvious issue for me.