LaunchBox Community Forums

Config Files and LB

kiddanplay

So i dont know if this is the right spot to post this BUT... I am trying to add some bezel's through retroarch and im running into a huge problem. So for example...with my gameboy color and regular gameboy i am using the "gambatte_libretro.dll" core. Since i want both of them to have individual bezels i created a seperate core titled "gambatte_gbc_libretro.dll" in my config folder i have 2 files labeled the same thing "gambatte_libretro.cfg" and "gambatte_gbc_libretro.cfg" heres where the problem begins. i went into "manage emulators" went to retroarch and added the following to the command line:

-L "cores\gambatte_gbc_libretro.dll"-c "gambatte_gbc_libretro.cfg"

when i launch a gameboy rom it creates a new "gambatte_libretro.cfg" file outside of the "gambatte" folder, when i make a change to the bezel in one it affects the other its like its not recognizing the individual config files and saving the changes to them individually...the issue is half of the systems use the same core in retroarch and i cant seem to get this working at all...

any ideas?

Edited by kiddanplay

-L "cores\gambatte_gbc_libretro.dll"-c "gambatte_gbc_libretro.cfg"

Not sure if this will solve your problem but the immediate thing that sticks out to me is a lack of a space after the dll and before the -c.

Try this

-L "cores\gambatte_gbc_libretro.dll" -c "gambatte_gbc_libretro.cfg"

Also make sure that the location of your config file you are loading is correct, the way you have it there now LB will be looking for it in the root folder of your RA install where the RA executable is.

Another options is to use the core splitter app and batch file to break the core into 2 different cores where you can easily create per core configs right in RA itself without worrying about calling the config file with the command line.

1 minute ago, Lordmonkus said:

Well the config part of that is only if that is the folder you are storing your configs, if you are keeping them elsewhere then you need to adjust that.

Ah yes, very true. I probably should have more appropriately said missing the folder portion of the command. I did see he said he has them in his config folder. 

Yeah either something is jacked up with my RA build or im just a total loser... I deleted retroarch completely and decided you know what maybe i jacked it up too much so i redownloaded and also used the batch editor you provided above and created 2 seperate cores on a fresh install with ONLY the gambatte core downloaded. still no dice...I went to GB and set a overlay then i backed out and went to GBC and set the GBC overlay...went back to GB and the GBC color overlay was on there as well. Here is what i have: 

image.thumb.png.53e28f6e8ae07ea38fcea1954ddd2c7e.pngimage.thumb.png.c810122be1f7c136dc929d4e8b4e180e.pngimage.thumb.png.7d70a4cfd14cfbe217596e04d739d40b.pngimage.thumb.png.6cea9dfbc1cf2bf4f47125b3935235e6.png

Yes, i just did it again to double check. I went into GB set the bezel in the quick menu and under the cog menu saved the core backed out went to GBC set the bezel in both places saved the core then went back into GB and i now see the GBC bezel again...i went into core info and see that it is loading up each individual core but for some reason if i change it on one or the other regardless of saving the individual core it goes to the last one i saved. These were created on my last save core override when leaving RA but when i open the CFG files there is nothing inside of them 

image.thumb.png.4ce529b0b127f4a56bb33c2763f125c2.pngimage.thumb.png.c0db6a9b6503887f6af766eda122e978.pngimage.thumb.png.b1ef15ab451b3d8be02b6c63593e734e.png

Edited by kiddanplay

yeah im at a total loss with everything i have tried different cores. I tried the single core with 2 config files option again...i dont know what i'm doing wrong or if theres a bug in the system with bezels or what but it sure does suck because i was really looking forward to knocking out bezels on my day off...i might just have to go back to rocketlauncher and try to figure out how to get that to work...although its HIGHLY inconvenient and no where near as polished as RA is in that regard... i just wish i could get this BS figured out man i have it working for everything that doesnt have a duplicate core which obviously is 60% of my setup since they all use the same core lol... GAHHHHHHHHH 

well now I’m super confused RA is on an external drive so I don’t think even a fresh windows install would cure my issues I got no clue now I’m totally lost Crazy part is I did a complete wipe and fresh install of retroarch so nothing should be left causing it not to work but who knows I just don’t know what would cause it to not pick up the separate cores it’s weird 

Yeah i'm not sure what to tell you that I haven't said already. I'm using the Quick Menu with a game and core loaded, set the overlay in the Onscreen Overlay section of the Quick Menu as well as the Save Core Override in the Configuration Overrideoptions of the Quick Menu. This is also using the 1.7.3 build and after saving it I closed RA and then reloaded it with the overlay and shaders both working.

Edit:
The shaders per core override is saved in the Shaders section of the Quick Menu.

13 hours ago, kiddanplay said:

So i dont know if this is the right spot to post this BUT... I am trying to add some bezel's through retroarch and im running into a huge problem. So for example...with my gameboy color and regular gameboy i am using the "gambatte_libretro.dll" core. Since i want both of them to have individual bezels i created a seperate core titled "gambatte_gbc_libretro.dll"

Well here's problem number one. This doesn't work anymore (and hasn't for some time). The cores have internal names regardless of what your core .dll filename is - duplicating and renaming a .dll does nothing because it still knows what the internal name is, and core overrides will override everything you load with that core (even after renaming the dll), regardless of the platform.

You need to 1) use separate configs and 2) do not use core overrides (for the reason above)

1) Delete Gambatte.cfg in Retroarch\config\Gambatte
2) Duplicate your retroarch.cfg and copy it into your Retroarch\config folder.
3) Rename this config to "gambatte_gb.cfg" then make another copy named "gambatte_gbc.cfg"
4) In your Retroarch emulator entry in LB, make both Nintendo Game Boy and Nintendo Game Boy Color use -L "cores\gambatte_libretro.dll"
5) Add -c "config\[name of the config]" after specifying the core

So, for example:

image.thumb.png.02c2c77eeb672ac9f9f2e1bd40e1f2f1.png

image.thumb.png.f01ecf1aa0bf8341dd52ef4bf339b903.png6) Load up a Game Boy game, change your overlay/shader/whatever
7) Load up a Game Boy Color game, change your overlay/shader/whatever

Do not create a per-core override while using these. If you do, anything you save will override both. Using separate configs is serving the same purpose anyway.

You can, alternately, use the core splitter, but that 1) only works for specific cores/platforms and isn't going to help you for when you want to split out say FBA into CPS-1, CPS-2, Neo Geo, etc. and 2) you have to repeat that process every time you update the core. If you just use separate configs like I show above, you can set this stuff once and never have to touch it again, even when you update.

Gamebatte - 1.png

Gamebatte - 2.png

@Zombeaver i dont know where you are in the world but i owe you a beer, or a coffee, or a cheap hooker if thats your thing... this solved the issue! Using split cores with split cfg files and saving the core settings was not working in the slightest! You just saved my system man!... one last question with this setup though...If i make a change in the main retroarch.cfg file such controller changes or whatever do i need to just copy and repaste and rename the main config file for each system or is there an easier way to go about that? 

• Like 1