LaunchBox Community Forums

N64 Mupen / Parrallel

Clownstyle

Hello :)

Having a few problems with N64 emulation. I've not messed with Retroarch in a while, but decided to update my emulators to latest versions.

Since then Mupen or Parrallel seem really low res almost blurry - They seem to be running at naitive resolution. I've been looking for ages and can't seem to find the option to upscale the resolution to crisp everything up. Am I missing something really simple here?

While running a game in either core I press F1 and view the quick menu, I can't seem to find any setting for changing to x2 x3 x4 resolution etc.. I thought that existed?

Edited by Clownstyle

5 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

You can change the internal resolution in the core settings of the quick menu for the Mupen core, Parallel doesn't allow this though.

Thanks Lordmonkus I've been looking through that options menu and I can't find anything about internal resolution?

On 6/11/2018 at 1:56 PM, Lordmonkus said:

You can change the internal resolution in the core settings of the quick menu for the Mupen core, Parallel doesn't allow this though.

Really? I'm running Parallel and it allows for the Resolution to be changed. I was under the assumption that Parallel is the core to use for N64 games now too.

Hmm, maybe its if you use the Angrylion plugin with the Parallel core. I just gave that a try and while you can change the resolution numbers in the core options for it it doesn't actually change the resolution.

As for which is best that is a bit of a trade off right now. Parallel with the Angrylion plugin is the most accurate way to emulate the N64 but with the resolution limitation and performance hit. The Mupen64 core is very good and runs faster but some games do have some issues. The stand alone Mupen64plus  (https://m64p.github.io/) is extremely good out of the box with no configuration needed. It runs great, plays more games than the Mupen64 core but not as accurate as the Parallel core with the Angrylion plugin.

Now of course take everything I just said with a grain of salt since I do not test these emulators or keep up to date on the changes with these 3 emulators on a regular basis. My information could be outdated and incorrect.

Ah ok, yeah Angrylion might be more accurate, but man it looks like a blurry mess. I just tried some stuff and Angrylion plugin looks worst than just hooking up my actual N64 to my tv. I'd take a nicer cleaner uprezed look for N64 games over what Angrylion makes it look like. It's such a bummer, I really wish someone would redo the N64 emulation instead of us having t deal with all these plugins and stuff. 

Edited by TheMadMan007

It mimics the N64s "anti aliasing" filter that it really had.

2 minutes ago, TheMadMan007 said:

I really wish someone would redo the N64 emulation instead of us having t deal with all these plugins and stuff. 

Give the stand alone Mupen64plus that I inked above a try, it doesn't require any tinkering at all and pretty much works with everything out of the box.

• Thanks 1

Project 64 is fine but because of their shady practices in the past with the adware installer and now with their nag screen if you use it too much (yes, it can be disabled by editing a cfg file).

But to be honest with how good the stand alone Mupen64plus (linked above) is there is zero reason to use PJ64 over it.

Is PJ64 "good" ? Yes but it does nothing better than Mupen64 and requires extra steps to get it working properly.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2018 at 5:36 PM, Lordmonkus said:

Is PJ64 "good" ? Yes but it does nothing better than Mupen64 and requires extra steps to get it working properly.

Is there a way to get the stand alone to work with LB? I read your guide on the standalone and wondered if there is a way these days? I have tried both core version and SA, and SA just looks sooo much better. May not get 60fps but that's ok for me, everything runs nicely and looks great. 

Yeah, the stand alone M64p is extremely easy to get working, no command line parameters needed or anything. Just set everything up in the UI of M64p and set it up in Launchbox like any other emulator.

The 2 guides I posted a while back are for the older versions of Mupen, Mupen64plus is a newer version.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Yeah, the stand alone M64p is extremely easy to get working, no command line parameters needed or anything. Just set everything up in the UI of M64p and set it up in Launchbox like any other emulator.

The 2 guides I posted a while back are for the older versions of Mupen, Mupen64plus is a newer version.

Awesome. Does it support custom controller config per game? So i can run goldeneye on 2 sticks like RA?

On 6/25/2018 at 8:29 PM, normchomsky said:

Awesome. Does it support custom controller config per game? So i can run goldeneye on 2 sticks like RA?

I don't see a way to do that, but you can assign two sets of controls per controller if that helps.  I have my C buttons set to the right stick but also to a set of buttons.

• Thanks 1