LaunchBox Community Forums

Cxbx Reloaded hype thread

OKTrashPanda

I don't know about you guys but I am beyond psyched about the progress this emulator has made.  It's not quite there yet but damn it's so close I can taste it!  I AM RUNNING JET SET RADIO FUTURE AND IT IS PLAYABLE!!!!  Who else is riding high off of this emu and its upcoming 1.0 release?

• Like 1

There are a very very low number of xbox exclusives that I really want to play but those games I REALLY want to play. I honestly think the worst thing that could happen to this emulator is that Sega releases excellent PC ports of their xbox exclusives. PDO, JSRF and even Gunvalkyrie are on my list of games I really wanna play again at some point.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, strizzuth said:

I don't know about you guys but I am beyond psyched about the progress this emulator has made.  It's not quite there yet but damn it's so close I can taste it!  I AM RUNNING JET SET RADIO FUTURE AND IT IS PLAYABLE!!!!  Who else is riding high off of this emu and its upcoming 1.0 release?

Just out of curiosity, how playable is Jet Set Radio? Is it running at 60 fps?

I have a very, very bad graphics card that doesn't want to run much of anything.  It's not 60 FPS but I can usually get it to go at 45ish.  It's VERY playable.  I recruited Beat and started the Poison Jam mission at Shibuya Terminal and saved my game successfully, no crashing.  The FPS dips quite a bit for me but didn't get bad until Shibuya Terminal where it hovered around 30.  A few graphics errors like cop cars not displaying in a cut scene, and the graffiti I put over Poison Jam's tags didn't display.  But other than that, holy shit it's WORKING.

Do you know how long it's been since I understood the concept of love?!

JSRF1.jpg

JSRF2.jpg

JSRF3.jpg

• Like 1

Not everyone has a xbox whether its easy to mod or not XBox emulation is definitely important and I would love to see it finally come along but yeah its still a long way off. All emulation is important to preservation because eventually all hardware will cease functioning and if there are no viable emulators when that happens the games will be gone forever which equals bad in my opinion.

2 hours ago, heelsinc said:

Eh it's very cool that it's finally happening but X-Box is so easy to mod, throw a hard drive in and get every game for so I don't think it's that important.

I modded my PS2 with scotch tape and my Wii has more games on hard drive than I have physical copies of.  That's not the point.  The point is emulation itself is progressing and this is exciting.  I'm still gonna use PCSX2 and Dolphin just because I want to.

2 hours ago, bundangdon said:

Wow, thank you for sharing the screenshots! This definitely looks promising. I also wonder how well other xbox games run with this emulator, but this is definitely a step in the right direction

The results are far from perfect.  I think JSRF was a target game for them.  Metal Wolf Chaos goes black screen after the intro movie and then crashes and Otogi is at the barely playable stage.  The floor is invisible.  You can imagine how that might make it tricky.  But this is improving bit by bit.  I'm hoping the 1.0 release has a few big fixes that gets more games working.  After that release, the team intends to iron out the existing code before adding more features.  That's an exciting stage from my perspective.

I just tried it out this morning. Panzer Dragoon Orta launches and runs at mostly 60fps with a few hitches. But from the few minutes of it I played it's definitely playable. This game is one of my emulation white whales. That I got to play it even for a little bit today is exciting as all the cuss words.

• Like 1

I'm eager to see progress but I've also learned to be patient with emulator development, so I probably won't try it out until it's fairly mature. I really want to play my old Xbox games again. All the Sega games, Deathrow, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, NBA Inside Drive (don't laugh - this was a really good basketball game), etc.