LaunchBox Community Forums

Moving LaunchBox folder issue

zetec-s-joe

Hi, I know that LaunchBox is made with relative paths etc so can be moved, I intentionally only use Emulators that also use relative paths to keep all things inside the LaunchBox folder portable

My issue is, I have moved the folder from one drive to another on my own PC and not had a single issue which is perfect! But, when I have copied it to a USB stick and put it onto another PC with the same Windows 10 64bit, everything works perfect except the video snaps dont work in Big Box, I don't really understand why as VLC is selected which is included with the LaunchBox directory, and all videos use relative paths

Anyone had this or know a trick?

Many thanks

Nope, videos are relative too, I've moved it around from dirve to drive on my PC, put it ona friends with the same version of Windows 10 Home 64 bit, but the videos won't play at all, install all dependencies which are pretty much stock for windows 10 anyway just incase, everything is fine :(

1 hour ago, zetec-s-joe said:

It's been attempted and no luck :(

Is the usb stick fast enough? I mean could it be it's stuggling to get them to load perhaps and give it some time? Have you checked if the videos load from the usb drive in launchbox (or launchbox.next) itself to see if they work/are linked correctly? If they dont work in there it could be you need to set the right video directory in launchbox(.next).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Is the usb stick fast enough?

That could quite likely be the issue, Bigbox is having to read and load a lot of different data and images at the same time and the stick is quite likely not up to the task. USB sticks are a different beast to HDD's and are mostly designed to store data and to copy data to and from different devices, not to actually run programs from. While some lightweight programs would likely run from a USB stick just fine there is a lot going on in Bigbox with reads and writes and that would be my guess as to the issue you are experiencing,

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

That could quite likely be the issue, Bigbox is having to read and load a lot of different data and images at the same time and the stick is quite likely not up to the task. USB sticks are a different beast to HDD's and are mostly designed to store data and to copy data to and from different devices, not to actually run programs from. While some lightweight programs would likely run from a USB stick just fine there is a lot going on in Bigbox with reads and writes and that would be my guess as to the issue you are experiencing,

Those are my thoughts exactly, thats why I wonder if they would work in launchbox(.next) if not it sure could be thats the core of the problem, don't know if a (real) high speed USB3 stick would be the solution in this case, I thought I bought a high speed 128gb USB3 stick once, it was quite cheap and it was from Sandisk but it's still a slow turtle compared to usb3 external hdd's.

• Like 1

Yeah there is a big difference between a USB HDD and a USB stick, a USB HDD is designed to do a lot of reads and writes and will also have a small cache which will help out a lot. A USB stick is more for straight up storage and transfers not constant reads and writes which is what would be happening with running Bigbox from it.

I bet if you were to run a  hard drive speed test on the USB stick the random read and write speeds would be incredibly slow, and that is what a program would be doing for the most part, lots of simultaneous reads and writes.

• Like 1