LaunchBox Community Forums

Import to LaunchBox has been going painfully slow for the last week or so

JamesBond@ge

Has anyone done any imports in the last week or so and finding that the downloading media is going super slow?

I'm importing a Neo Geo set of ROMS at the moment. 130 or so games, with all the boxes checked apart from videos as I already have those. Normally this would have been done in 15 to 30 minutes but it's been taking hours this afternoon. I reckon by the time it's finished, it would have taken about 4 hours.

I have closed my LaunchBox, rebooted my computer, even updated my LaunchBox from 7.14 to the latest 8.3 today to see if that was the problem but no change.

It's definitely NOT my connection. I did an import of about 140 PS2 games about 2 days ago and the same thing happened. It seems to get stuck for ages on one file, and then whizz through the next few files, and then get stuck again......and on.

It's definitely the LB database and not EmuMovies as the files it gets stuck on are the LB ones.

***This is not a moan by the way. Concerned and would like to turn off my overheating PC soon heh.

Edited by JamesBond@ge

• 2 weeks later...

It's been painfully slow for me as well.  Every system I import takes hours.

I'm working on importing mame, where I'm simply grabbing low quality videos, control panels, manuals and snaps. It's currently been running for 14 hours, and I'm at about 40% of the way through.  Speed test while the import is going, shows I'm at over 200 Mbps.

Not sure what the issue is.

I'm gonna be importing about 80 Wii games in the next hour or so. I'll let you know how it goes and whether the speed is 'abnormal' or not. I have been importing Wii and PS2 games during the past week and the speed seems to be ok. I posted this thread about 2 weeks ago.

Anyway, I'll report back.

Hope your import goes faster than mine.

Launchbox threw an error 2/3 of the way through. :(   It seems to still be downloading, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to redo the entire thing.  At this rate it will have taken over 24 hours to complete.

Quick tip, on your first import only grab the important art like box art and screenshots. You can go back later and scrape for other media, things like videos and fanart can be larger and take a long time to download, especially for platforms that have a large number of games.

Dang it. I ended up playing Wii games instead of importing them lol. Everytime I go into my Wii or WiiWare section I just can't resist the shovelware mmm. Chicken Shoot, Snail Mail....

Oh and Excitebike is an awesome WiiWare exclusive!

Anyway, I'm doing that import tommorow. Will report back.

20 hours ago, DeeGor said:

Hope your import goes faster than mine.

Launchbox threw an error 2/3 of the way through. :(   It seems to still be downloading, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to redo the entire thing.  At this rate it will have taken over 24 hours to complete.

How did you get on with your MAME import?

I imported 140 Wii games today, with all the media boxes checked (including videos) and it took 35 minutes which seems about right to me. It wasn't get stuck on certain files like it did two weeks ago when I posted this thread, so I dunno what might be happening to yours.

My MAME import was a long time, but I vaguely remember it taking about 4-6 hours with all the boxes checked.

It died about 2/3rds of the way through with some error.  I resumed it, and it started from the beginning, but didn't download assets I already had.  The entire process took a little over 24 hours.  I'm not sure why it took so long, when my internet connection is really fast, but at least it's done, and the import only has to be done once.

It may be the 'route' that data travels to get to you. It could have been congested where you are (so to speak) or the LaunchBox server was under a load. That is what I think happened to me that made me start this thread. Man I was whining lol. 4-5 hours to import 140 Neo Geo games argh. It's not really happened to me before like that and I've done tons of imports, so maybe it's a one off.

Just curious DeeGor, if you import another system, see how long it takes and let us know in this thread. Just curious to know.

Anyway, welcome to LaunchBox :-)

Prior to my import of MAME, most imports were taking anywhere from 1 to 4 hours, depending on the number of roms.  I'm kind of over the whole slowness issue, because MAME was the last emulator imported, and in the grand scheme of things, 24 hours wasn't the end of the world.

Thanks for the Welcome.  I had previously used HyperSpin, and was dreading setting up the frontend again after I lost everything, which prompted me to look for something new.  Launchbox has been a great experience so far.  Minus the MAME import part of course. :)

• 2 years later...
On 12/8/2020 at 6:44 AM, Euno said:

i know this is a 2018 post but mine has been running all night and into the afternoon now and still not finished for 3500 MAME roms. Is this just normal now?

I know this is an old thread but I’m having the same issues. Loving LaunchBox but it’s gonna take a week to import my ROMs. Seriously. It ran all night importing ~2000 ROMs and I am only 1/4 of the way done.

Turning off the fan art helped. I could turn other stuff off but I LIKE that stuff! My internet isn’t the problem either. Gigabit speed.

Any ideas are welcome at this point.

19 minutes ago, Cardsharp said:

I know this is an old thread but I’m having the same issues. Loving LaunchBox but it’s gonna take a week to import my ROMs. Seriously. It ran all night importing ~2000 ROMs and I am only 1/4 of the way done.

Turning off the fan art helped. I could turn other stuff off but I LIKE that stuff! My internet isn’t the problem either. Gigabit speed.

Any ideas are welcome at this point.

Did you leave the "remove roughly matched images" box checked? If so that will make the import take a long long time.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just from my experience but I didn't find unchecking that option helped much. What I did find that worked was scraping just images first then circling back and scraping manuals/videos. I completely excluded music as it was not needed for me considering some of the music files are like 30+ mins.

Edited by ald0101