LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox "initializing" MAME but then nothing...

preachah8

Windows 7 - 64bit
Never had a problem with Launchbox.  All roms loaded, everything points to the right place (as far as my knowledge tells me).

After updating tonight, every MAME game says "initializing" and then disappears back to Launchbox selection screen.  No error, no crash.

Any help appreciated!

PS - LOVE Launchbox and Big Box.  Well done folks!

Edited by preachah8

Holy hell gentlemen.

After a night (and half a day) of toil and "wtf's?"... I've found the issue.  There were 2 "game folders" (identical) in the MAME folder.  So, when poking around through Launchbox and looking for associations, it looked as if it was "pointed" to the correct place.  However, it was pointing at an identical folder.  

I cannot for the life of me figure out how that happened/can happen, without having "(copy)" after the name. 
I actually am not even able to replicate it.

Thank you for all your comments last night!  I appreciate the effort.

LAUNCHBOX IS BACK BABY!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Can you load the game outside of Launchbox using Mame on its own ? If not then I highly suggest you get that working first. If you need a guide on setting that up I did a full written guide on it here:

It's a little old now but all of information is the same and still applies.

• 1 year later...

I have this issue. In LauncBox I can not start any mame emulation. I imported my MAME games fine. I have 3 main mame emulators and launchBox launches none. But the emulators work as expected independently of launchBox. What is not setup correctly in launchBox?

2 minutes ago, Inuic said:

I have this issue. In LauncBox I can not start any mame emulation. I imported my MAME games fine. I have 3 main mame emulators and launchBox launches none. But the emulators work as expected independently of launchBox. What is not setup correctly in launchBox?

In the Associated Platform tab for the emulator did you add the platform name?

>Tools>Manage Emulators and edit your Mame. Check the Associated Platforms tab.

Sharing pics of your edit emulator screen would help. (Pic of the main details tab and the Associated Platforms tab).

Not sure why you have 3 Mame emulators, but since you do, you need to make sure the platform is listed in all of them in the Associated Platforms tab.

20210101_164222.thumb.jpg.b1424b81d4fe9ae9c01f2ccbc3e0b711.jpg20210101_164055.thumb.jpg.d2e52a05cfc3fc054ed60cb229c37f44.jpg20210101_164109.thumb.jpg.420a67b5e309cf800a499029a56da5ec.jpg20210101_164127.thumb.jpg.22beb2958a0a79a1accb4e75c0ac19c8.jpg20210101_164144.thumb.jpg.8f2630646739a4849e7d37596794f45e.jpg20210101_164210.thumb.jpg.1888323e8dab87dd7134266a9c2142f1.jpgOk sending images. I have 3 versions of mame I use and even a 4th. Due to certain versions of mame playing games the others don't. I can't get one version of mame to play all my mame roms. So I wanted the cool launchbox front end where I could choose the rom and which emulator I needed to run it. But alas launchbox launches none of them, yet they all run as expected independently. It just does nothing in launchbox.

How can I get my plan to work?20210101_163924.thumb.jpg.a518826d0cee64cafdeaf03222ff7a4d.jpg

Yes, the second two MAME emulators were added after the first one failed, which is the one I just downloaded off the MAME website.  This issue occurred with the first install of MAME. The command line parameters are now only applied on that one. I'll report my results.