LaunchBox Community Forums

Imported MAME romset not showing

Anther

Hello all!

This is my first post to the forums. I'm loving Launchbox so far, and have paid for a licence. I have managed to set up SNES, Genesis and a few other consoles so far, but have come unstuck on MAME. Here's what I have done:

• I installed the latest version of MAME.
  • I downloaded the: MAME 2003 Reference Set: MAME 0.78 ROMs, CHDs, and Samples from Archive.org
  • I used the new option: Import MAME arcade full set in Launchbox.
  • I went through the various options, using the same process as ETA Prime, also adding my EmuMovies account for Snaps
  • Then I waited.
  • A very long time indeed (I think it took around 12 hours to grab all the videos and metadata and such).

That brings me to today. Having finally completed - and with no errors - Launchbox shows no games in the arcade tab. In fact, no matter what I hide/unhide, they are nowhere to be found. I wonder if any of you knowledgable folks can help? I'm clearly doing something completely wrong.

Thank you for your time!

6 minutes ago, Anther said:

Hello all!

This is my first post to the forums. I'm loving Launchbox so far, and have paid for a licence. I have managed to set up SNES, Genesis and a few other consoles so far, but have come unstuck on MAME. Here's what I have done:

• I downloaded the: MAME 2003 Reference Set: MAME 0.78 ROMs, CHDs, and Samples from Archive.org
  • I went through the various options, using the same process as ETA Prime, also adding my EmuMovies account for Snaps
  • Then I waited.
  • A very long time indeed (I think it took around 12 hours to grab all the videos and metadata and such).

That brings me to today. Having finally completed - and with no errors - Launchbox shows no games in the arcade tab. In fact, no matter what I hide/unhide, they are nowhere to be found. I wonder if any of you knowledgable folks can help? I'm clearly doing something completely wrong.

Thank you for your time!

mine took 23 hrs and yes I had that same issue and had to re-import.

27 minutes ago, Anther said:

Hello all!

• Then I waited.

Thank you for your time!

This is possibly down top the romset you have, 0.78 is very old, as it says in the name 2003, so its a 15 year old set. The MAME importer in Launchbox is using the current data (0.201) to get rom names, it is likely that the naming convention gor MAME has changed since 2003. That would be my only guess as to why it would not import anything at all, it simply cant find any of the games.

Also to add you shouldnt be using the latest version of the MAME emulator, your romset is 0.078 so you should be using the 0.078 version of the MAME emulator to go with it, this is why MAME is numbered as they are designed to work together. Games in MAME may break or made to work from one version to the next.

But as i said my suspicion is the naming scheme changed at some point between 0.078 and the current 0.201.

5 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

This is possibly down top the romset you have, 0.78 is very old, as it says in the name 2003, so its a 15 year old set. The MAME importer in Launchbox is using the current data (0.201) to get rom names, it is likely that the naming convention gor MAME has changed since 2003. That would be my only guess as to why it would not import anything at all, it simply cant find any of the games.

Happened for me on at least 3 other random systems

Just now, Anther said:

I did leave it as Arcade, yes. I do have an arcade category - it is just empty.

Hmm im really not sure what is going on there then, the fact that it took so long to import leads me to believe that it imported everything and grabbed all the relevant images/videos, and the fact that you now have a Arcade platform category also leads me to believe everything imported fine. so why it is not showing any games at all is a bit of a mystery, i assume your other platforms show just fine? And if you click on the Arcade platform category does it technically switch to it but just with no images shown.

It certainly did import everything. I have many GBs of videos and artwork in their various folders. And yes, when I click to it, it switches and says Platform Category: Arcade at the top of the screen, but no games show. I have changed all of the viewing options to make sure nothing is hidden, but no good. If it helps, when I click manage platforms in the options, it looks like this.

Capture.PNG

Just now, Anther said:

It certainly did import everything. I have many GBs of videos and artwork in their various folders. And yes, when I click to it, it switches and says Platform Category: Arcade at the top of the screen, but no games show. I have changed all of the viewing options to make sure nothing is hidden, but no good. If it helps, when I click manage platforms in the options, it looks like this.

Capture.PNG

Have you set Arcade as a associated platform for your MAME emulator entry in the manage emulator section in the tools menu? Also can you go to the view dropdown at the top and check the box to show broken games.

Just now, Anther said:

Yes on both counts.

Then the only thing i can suggest at this point is to re-import. It will only take a couple of minutes, run the importer again, leave the download metadata from the database section checked, but UNCHECK all of the image/video downloads as you already have it all and it will re-attach to your roms. The import should just take a minute or two.

Well, re-importing did indeed work. How strange. Sadly that is only part of the problem it seems. Now I have a lovely list of games, but clicking on them doesn't load them. I've tried the latest MAME and also the one that correctly fits this ROM set. I imagine this is going to be quite the rabbit hole. Thank you very much for fixing that particular problem for me though. Most appreciated!

Just now, Anther said:

Well, re-importing did indeed work. How strange. Sadly that is only part of the problem it seems. Now I have a lovely list of games, but clicking on them doesn't load them. I've tried the latest MAME and also the one that correctly fits this ROM set. I imagine this is going to be quite the rabbit hole. Thank you very much for fixing that particular problem for me though. Most appreciated!

Well thats good to know. Yeah that was my original suspicion, here.

38 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Try the version of MAME for your 0.078 romset from here, it should work, but obviously will not have a lot of the features that have been added in the last 15 years.

https://www.mamedev.org/oldrel.html

When you change emulators for a platform you have to bulk edit the roms to use the different emulator. Click on a MAME game then ctrl A to highlight them all, then right click one and go to edit, this will open the bulk edit wizard. Click next then in the dropdown choose emulator, then the second dropdown that spawns the emulator you want to change to, finish out the wizard and launch a game.

Tried that. Still nothing. I think I will try to get hold of a modern romset. Perhaps that is my problem. You have been an enormous help neil9000. Thank you for your time. Also, this program really is fantastically laid out. You've all made something complicated a lot easier to do.  I've been having a great time with BigBox and it's theming. When I finally work MAME out I may have a party..