LaunchBox Community Forums

CPS 3 games will not run at all. (Retroarch)

Maza Medkat

Hey guys,

So I'm relatively new to Launchbox/BigBox and have been having a lot of fun with it as I work on making a new Emulation Station for my living room, so my friends and I can relive those happy moments of yesteryear. I recently got my hands on a set of CPS3 roms, and have had no luck getting them running at all. I use retroarch as the emulator for them, following the instructions provided to me from ETAPrime's Tut on the Youtube channel. After getting all the roms set up, I try and start up a game, Bigbox says that it's loading, but nothing comes up at all. I managed to get most of CPS I and II working with no real issues, though some of the games in CPS II do the same thing. I'm I missing something, like BIOS or is there perhaps something wrong with the roms that have? I tried searching around the forum and it seems that many others really haven't been having this trouble, so any help would be appreciated.

40 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

My first guess is your rom set is not compatible with the core you are using, try the FBA 2012 core and see if you have better luck with that.

Gave this a try, changing the core to the FBAlpha 2012 core and the same thing happens. Double click the game to launch it, everything flickers and nothing else happens.

• 2 years later...

well in MAME (I can't speak for FBNeo) there are only 6 games but there are multiple version of the ROMs (clones of the parent) which explains the difference in the naming they all work in MAME but some do require the CHD file also. Its possible that FBNeo requires those specific ROM files but I don't use it so don't know for sure.

7 hours ago, DOS76 said:

well in MAME (I can't speak for FBNeo) there are only 6 games but there are multiple version of the ROMs (clones of the parent) which explains the difference in the naming they all work in MAME but some do require the CHD file also. Its possible that FBNeo requires those specific ROM files but I don't use it so don't know for sure.

I’m have them on mame. But cannot find a working version of red earth ( wazard )

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

You can fast forward the install/loading, also you only need to do it the first time. Its how the CPS3 arcade systems worked, they had a HDD in them, so instead of buying a new cab when a new game came out operators could buy a CD and install it to the HDD of the cab they had.

Hmm but sfiii never did that only wazard. 

11 minutes ago, J2chulo said:

Hmm but sfiii never did that only wazard. 

The nocd version obviously wont, but not all games have a nocd version, or you dont, whichever it is. In a full mame romset as already stated in this thread there will be several versions of each game, the default or "parent" version is usually the original release, which would be the one that needs a CHD and to be "installed" on first run. There are however clones that are clearly in the file name marked as "nocd". It also depends on the romset your roms are from as to whether that is shown or not, i have a merged set, so in my case the nocd version is inside the sfiii zip file as they are "merged". A non merged rom will have a individual zip for each version.

My Street Fighter 3 Third Strike rom versions as shown in Launchbox.

image.thumb.png.1555869cb26186720ef9160a6a9a9c6e.pngand my Red Earth.

image.thumb.png.74095b1b1efa7ae76be62320ad2becd8.pngThere is no nocd version for Red Earth, as there is for SF3 3.

• 1 year later...

I have the RA downloaded, and all applicable cores. however, the site I downloaded these individual rom zips from gave me the roms but don't allow me to play them in any core/emulator. One in particular says that it doesn't recognize this "rom set". Did I get the wrong roms, or am I missing something else in order to get them to play properly?
Please advise.