LaunchBox Community Forums

WHY SO SECRETIVE

2ball

Why is where to get roms a secret?  I understand the internet is filled with places to get them, but why isn't there a link on a good rom package to download?

Why do most places not package the roms and an emulator together?

Why doesn't this site host a rom download package?

"I'm not going to bore you with the specific DMCA regulations (you can look them up yourself if you really want to) but suffice to say they're almost always illegal. Emulators aren't because they don't violate any law, ROMs violate copyright laws. So while it doesn't make sense to use emulators without ROMs, it is legal. Just like it is legal to have an empty beer bottle if you're under 16 but not have alcohol. There is no 24/48 hour exemption. Linking to copyrighted content, hosting it and downloading it is always illegal. You can get in trouble for downloading ROMs of games no longer sold as well, and hosting illegal content is illegal too. Nintendo explains it pretty well on their legal page."

"The ONLY time that you can legally have a ROM is if it was 1) purposefully released into the public domain by the copyright owner, 2) was given or sold to you by the copyright owner, 3) has had its copyright expire (75 years after publication, i.e. no video games until well into this century), or 4) it is an archival copy that YOU created for backup purposes (it cannot be a downloaded copy)."

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 2ball said:

Why is where to get roms a secret?  I understand the internet is filled with places to get them, but why isn't there a link on a good rom package to download?

Why do most places not package the roms and an emulator together?

Why doesn't this site host a rom download package?

Its not a secret, we just can tell you exactly, there is a divide between fair use and blatant thievery. This software is completely above board, so any roms you load into it is up to you. ;)