LaunchBox Community Forums

Can't get MAME to work in LaunchBox

laborer75

Pulling my hair out as I can't seem to get MAME to launch games through Launchbox.

The games will run fine through MAME itself. Roms are in the roms folder inside the MAME emulator folder.

I have the full path to the roms set in mame.ini. Also have mame.ini in the root of my mame emulator folder.

Launchbox is showing the path to the roms as correct.

When I open a rom in Launchbox, it will say initializing and then quit after a few seconds.

Using the newest Mame0.202 with a 0.202 full rom set.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

The platform is called Arcade. I told LB to leave the games were they were, in the MAME directory's rom folder. I notice there is an Arcade folder in the Games folder in the LB directory but it is empty. I assume because I told LB to leave the files where they were.

Just now, laborer75 said:

I notice there is an Arcade folder in the Games folder in the LB directory but it is empty. I assume because I told LB to leave the files where they were.

Yeah.

I'm stumped here and grasping at straws but just try this, change your rompath in the mame.ini file to just say

rompath          roms

If you have your roms in your \Mame\roms folder you don't need a full path in there.

This really shouldn't make any difference since you say your games run fine outside of LB but it's something to try.

In Mame itself what is the video option set to? It should have options like Auto, OpenGL, BGFX, and D3D. Try changing it and see what happens when you launch through Launchbox afterwards. Try setting it to opengl if it is on something else. I had a pretty similar issue a while back. 

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

Since it all works fine outside of LB I don't think the video settings will be the issue but I guess it couldn't hurt to play with them.

Agree, but what he is describing is an exact issue I had. In one of the beta threads I ran the issue by Jason as I would also get this issue or when it did work and I exited Launchbox would freeze. I stumbled across checking the video and anytime I put it to openGL it would work fine. Anything else the issue occurred. Even had some issues with pc games doing the same. Jason did put some things in place that eventually the issue stopped. Not sure if this will help him out, but like you said worth a shot. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Just now, retrogamer said:

I have the problem of Mame not launching in Launchbox. The other systems I have to reconfigure the rom paths and emulator paths. The recent update on Launchbox was Nov 1 2019 it was 10.6.

Updates should never affect you existing rom paths and emulator setups. 

Prior to 10.6 what version were you on of Launchbox? Also what version of Mame are you using?