LaunchBox Community Forums

retroFuture

I'm very impressed with RetroArch's lag-reducing run-ahead system. However, I'm very disappointed that it doesn't work with the MAME core (due to lack of save-states). The FinalBurn Alpha core in RA is great because of the runahead feature, but it would be fantastic if the MAME core could also utilise this amazing feature (especially as MAME supports more games than FBA).  I am currently using the standalone version of MAME (0.198), but the lag is noticeable. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce it?

Edited by retroFuture

The new Mame2003-plus core has save states and supports run ahead but it is an older core and is only meant for that rom set.

As for suggestions to reduce lag in stand alone Mame you could look into GroovyMame which has less input and a Frame Delay setting to further reduce it. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151459.0.html?PHPSESSID=hlm3f66k7m3td1bvppnojr11d3

Beyond that though you will have to look at the display you are using to play on. Are you playing on a TV or a PC monitor ? TVs have much more lag than even an average monitor but a good gaming monitor will have less again and then something like a G-Sync / Freesync display will have a little less lag again.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I'll give the MAME2003 core a try, but will also experiment with GroovyMAME. Still not sure whether to work with the RA core or the standalone. I'm using an HD LED TV set to game mode. I understand that CRT is the superior option for lag reduction, but alas, I don't have a means of connecting my PC to the component inputs of my Sony Trinitron. I do have a PC CRT which I could try. However, after experimenting with the runahead feature on other RA cores, I find that the lag has been reduced to levels which are barely perceptible, even on my HD LED TV. I don't know much about G-Sync / Freesync, but I'll look into it. 

Almost wishing I never tried the runahead method :D It has spoiled me to the extent that lag has become noticeable enough to ruin the experience, whereas in the past I never noticed it. I can understand why the MiSTer project and FPGA consoles are becoming so popular, and I can see where the 'original-hardware-on-CRT' purists are coming from. Still, I am a firm believer in the superiority of emulation.  So it seems that in order to get the most playable arcade experiences via emulation, I should split my arcade collection between FBA and MAME2003+ cores. Gonna take some painstaking sorting, but it'll be worth it.

• 4 years later...

All you have to do to confirm the input delay is pause the game, hold down an attack then push the skip ahead one frame button. Count how many presses or frames it took. Most mame games are about 3 frames behind what they should be.

This is not the same thing that vrr and vsync help with.