LaunchBox Community Forums

Is it possible to have multiple installs of an emulator like pcsx2?

Tatts4Life

So I was thinking today that I want to try something and was wondering is it even possible. Can I have two installs of pcsx2 so I can play American games and Japanese games? I take it with other systems that use retroarch I just make a second category called say NES Japan and put those games there.

Not totally sure if this works as I haven't tested, but apparently you can make PCSX2 portable by creating a portable.ini in the root folder. This should allow you to have two separate installs that don't interfere with each other. 

Edit, if that works, just create a second instance of the emulator in launchbox called PCSX2(Japan) or something, and you should be good to go.

Edited by fromlostdays

7 hours ago, Tatts4Life said:

What do I need to do?

Just open file explorer, go the your emulator folder and create two new folders, name one PCSX2 (USA), and one PCSX2 (Japan)...(Or whatever you want to name them, NTSC or whatever makes sense to you, but if you are doing them for different regions, just make it easy on yourself)

Then copy over the emulator to both of the folders, then in Launchbox, go to the Manage Emulators option, add, then just add the first one for normal use, set that up,and make sure you name it something easy to differentiate (again, USA/Japan, try to keep a uniform naming convention so you don't get confused) then do the same thing with the Japan one. Then Import your ROMs and name the System the same that you did for the emulators. And you are good to go. Obviously you'll probably have to go into the emulators and do some additional setup, but that is what the PCSX2 config plugin is for. 

Wow that really is easy. I saw a thread in the link that fromlostdays posted that also talked about how you can have different config files for each game too. That also looks cool because I have several games that need certain settings tweaked in order for the game to play right. I really want to figure out how to do that now.

10 minutes ago, Tatts4Life said:

Wow that really is easy. I saw a thread in the link that fromlostdays posted that also talked about how you can have different config files for each game too. That also looks cool because I have several games that need certain settings tweaked in order for the game to play right. I really want to figure out how to do that now.

• Like 1