LaunchBox Community Forums

Can't see games/emulators after update

KevinP

Hi all,   After updating all my games seem to be ignored by LB. I have my roms on different hard drives as I have so many but hasn't been a problem before.  I found an old thread where it was recommended to go to tools. manage platforms then edit the path. I did this with NES and everything is correct but still no games... 

Quick edit- I just checked tools, manage emulators and there's nothing there but Rocketlauncher. I have several emulators installed.

Edited by KevinP

You probably don't want your oldest backups, unless you really want to go back to that point in time. It might help to look at file sizes on the XMLs. It can be a pain to figure out exactly what to restore. Can you post a screenshot of your LaunchBox\Data\Platforms folder in windows explorer with the details columns?

Here is the pic. 

Is rocketlauncher supposed to be the default emulator? For example, I tried to change the emulator path for SNES to my snes9x.exe and it warned about changing the default from rocketlauncher. I went ahead and changed the path to snes9x.exe and still got "the file you specified for the emulator path was not found"

I don't know that I have rocketlauncher installed anywhere.

rl.jpg

Oh man, I bought one of those infamous pre-configured hard drive setups with hyperspin a few years ago. I realize that's very frowned upon but I have little time to spend or knowledge of emulators or programming. Of course, it broke but I still have the roms. I was very happy to discover Launchbox and bought Big Box. Something weird must've happened to lose my emulator settings and have rocketlauncher become default. I may need to just re-do everything. I don't understand why it's still not working when I change the emulator paths though. Definitely deleting rocketlauncher now. 

My only issue here is that it doesn't sound like you have the knowledge required to re-build the setup, and unfortunately I can't hold your hand to do it, because it would take a long time. I really have no idea what kind of state your collection is in, or what happened to mess it up in the first place.

I do have to say just in case anyone else ends up on this thread, buying a pre-configured hard drive is always a terrible idea. But anyways, if you don't have a backup of the collection that was working, unfortunately starting over may be your best bet.

If you have the roms pulled out I would suggest watching the guides on the YouTube channel, ETAPrime and Brad have done amazing guides walking you through how to set everything up in Launchbox without RocketLauncher. Start off simple with one system like the SNES or Genesis and work up from there, things will click once you get used to it and you will find it's not as difficult as people think or make it out to be.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KevinP said:

Oh man, I bought one of those infamous pre-configured hard drive setups with hyperspin a few years ago. I realize that's very frowned upon but I have little time to spend or knowledge of emulators or programming. Of course, it broke but I still have the roms. I was very happy to discover Launchbox and bought Big Box. Something weird must've happened to lose my emulator settings and have rocketlauncher become default. I may need to just re-do everything. I don't understand why it's still not working when I change the emulator paths though. Definitely deleting rocketlauncher now. 

Thats why we never like people buying pre configured drives, if something goes wrong you have no knowledge or experience to fix it. The reason changing the emulator from rocketlauncher to snes9x is not working is because you need to bulk edit the actual roms in that platform to use the new emulator. At this point though with you not understanding how it is put together and what does what i think your best bet would to be to start from scratch. We have excellent tutorials on our youtube channel.

3 minutes ago, KevinP said:

Something strange I just noticed is that launchbox says it's licensed to Jeremy Mcerloy.  I have no idea who that is.

Ugh. Who did you buy the drive from? I won't hold anything against you, but I would appreciate if you could PM me info on it so that I can stop them from selling pirated copies of LaunchBox.

It must've came with it. I bought a forever license direct from you guys on 8/12/17. Didn't even realize I had a pirated license. Maybe if I can find my license code from then it'll work. I swear I never intended to pirate Bigbox or Launchbox. Just wanted the roms and hyperspin originally.

Edited by KevinP

Just now, KevinP said:

It must've came with it. I bought a forever license direct from you guys on 8/12/17. Didn't even realize I had a pirated license. Maybe if I can find my license code from then it'll work. 

Gotcha. Yeah, you can go here to download your correct license:

https://www.launchbox-app.com/premium/lost-license

I'd still appreciate any info you have on where you bought the drive originally. You can private message me if you'd rather.