LaunchBox Community Forums

List of possible variables to use in command line?

bernhard.heimatorrt

Hi everyone,

I'm just beginning to look into LaunchBox and starting to get my collection organized. Since I like to plan ahead, I am currently trying to figure out what may and may not be possible using the additional apps feature.

This brings me to my Question:

1.: Is there a list of all variables from the launchbox database that can be used as command line Parameters? I have seen %romfile% and %rompath% being used in some situations, but is there an overview of all supported variables in some place?

This Question has been asked before (here: 

) but afaik, not answered anywhere.

One point of special interest to me: Is it possible to pass Information stored in custom data fields (using LB premium) as a command line parameter? I'm well aware it would be possible to just manually put the parameter into the command line, but I'm curious if I could keep that data in a custom field as an alternative.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great topic. Bad reply so far. Can we have a list of possible command line arguments/variables? Or are %romfile% and %rompath% the only ones available?

And exactly what does %romfile% expand to? The complete path to the romfile or just the romfile name without the path?

Cheers

Edited by pedu

There are only four variables available:

• %romfile% - What it spits out depends on the emulator settings. By default, it spits out the full path to the ROM file including quotes, as it should. If "don't use quotes" is checked, then it won't use quotes. If "use file name only without file extension or folder path" is checked, then it will do exactly that. The only reason this was added was to support odd emulators that don't allow you to put the ROM file last. If it's omitted, the ROM file will always be put at the end of the command-line parameters.
  • %platform% - Spits out the game's platform (was originally added for Rocket Launcher).
  • %launchboxorbigboxexepath% - Spits out the full path to LaunchBox.exe or BigBox.exe, depending on which is running (was originally added for Rocket Launcher).
  • %gameid% - Spits out the game's ID from the XML data (this was added for a plugin of some sort, but not sure when or why).

Custom fields are not currently supported, nor are any other fields.

• Thanks 1

• 4 years later...