LaunchBox Community Forums

Arcade emulation beyond MAME

garbanzo

Can someone familiar with arcade emulation please help me out?

I have MAME working fine, but I know there are other arcade emulators out there, and I'm having trouble understanding how those overlap with MAME. 

Will emulators like FinalBurn Alpha, Kawaks, Demul, RAINE, etc. let me play games that don't work in MAME? Is there a list somewhere that helps to clarify which emulator to use with which games?

Also, are all the games these emulators play available in the latest MAME set? I've seen some scripts hosted here for pulling out NAOMI and Atomiswave ROMs from the MAME set for example, but I'm not sure if MAME has all arcade-related games, or if I need to look elsewhere for additional arcade fun.

Thanks!

The only one that will allow you to play more games is demul, the dreamcast emulator. Naomi was a arcade platform based off of dreamcast hardware, that is included in MAME (you need CHD's also for a lot of them) but only a handfull if that actually run in MAME. You will deed to use a dreamcast emulator to play them, and demul is the best one for naomi/sammy atomiswave/cave games.

On 2/19/2019 at 2:22 PM, Fablog said:

...and sega Triforce, SegaEuropa-R, Sega RingEdge, Sega RingWideSega RingEdge 2...

You could find a lot of information about arcade emulation Here

Thanks for the link. I'm very familiar with that wiki, it's a fantastic resource.

Are you using TeknoParrot for those Sega systems? Any games worth checking out?

Since my last post I'm now up and running with select games (shmups) from Sega Naomi, Sega Model 2, Taito Type-X, and Taito NESiCAxLive. I'm on the lookout for other Arcade shmups beyond what MAME and these other systems can handle - please let me know if you can think of any.

• Like 1

I won't do the promotion of any software for this kind of games for various reasons and I'm not so experienced about them. I would be too interested to see some tutorials about how to use them in Launchbox. I think it's sensible because some of those games are still in operation. Am I wrong?

On 2/19/2019 at 12:51 PM, garbanzo said:

What about Sega Model 2 and Model 3? Taito Type X?

There are emulators for those as well.  Specifically these that I'm aware of:

Sega Model 2 emulator - Model 2 Emulator ( http://www.emucr.com/2014/01/model-2-emulator-v11a.html )
Sega Model 3 emulator - Supermodel ( http://www.emucr.com/2019/02/supermodel-svn-r775.html )

I've never tried the Model 2 emulator, so I have no opinion of it one way or another.  Back in the day though, I did try the Supermodel emulator so I could play the Star Wars Trilogy arcade game.  It played ok, but I found it was the only model 3 game that I found myself wanting to play, and it was buggy... so I removed it from my list of emulators/roms and moved on to things I play more regularly :)

Edited by CDBlue

• 1 month later...

Hi Garbanzo,

Most emulators will emulate similar machines made by a manufacturer, that's how I look at it anyways. So start with what roms you want to play to pick the best emulator from there.   FABLOG'S post is a great place to start

On 2/20/2019 at 5:22 AM, Fablog said:

...and sega Triforce, SegaEuropa-R, Sega RingEdge, Sega RingWide, Sega RingEdge 2...

You could find a lot of information about arcade emulation Here