LaunchBox Community Forums

Sort MAME roms by system? (Naomi, Model 2, etc.)

garbanzo

I am looking for an easy way to sort my MAME rom/chd set by system, so I can pull out things like Naomi, Atomiswave, Model 2, Model 3, etc. I need these in their own folders so I can set them up with the appropriate emulator.

I see a set of old .bat files in the download section for DEmul-supported roms, but it's a few years old now, and a lot has changed in MAME since then.

I can sort my MAME roms by system in MAMEUI and see everything that uses naomi.cpp for example, but I don't think there's a way to copy those games, or even export a list to turn into a .bat file...

Any suggestions? Thanks!

6 minutes ago, garbanzo said:

I am looking for an easy way to sort my MAME rom/chd set by system, so I can pull out things like Naomi, Atomiswave, Model 2, Model 3, etc. I need these in their own folders so I can set them up with the appropriate emulator.

I see a set of old .bat files in the download section for DEmul-supported roms, but it's a few years old now, and a lot has changed in MAME since then.

I can sort my MAME roms by system in MAMEUI and see everything that uses naomi.cpp for example, but I don't think there's a way to copy those games, or even export a list to turn into a .bat file...

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Thats the newest we have, it should work just fine for most of the games still though.

Thanks for the link, but those are the files I mentioned in my post above. They're too old to be useful - MAME is at 0.207 now, and a lot has changed since 0.184 when those scripts were made. 

I tried the NAOMI script before I came here looking for help, and I quit half-way through because it was throwing out so many errors.

Also they're DEmul only, so they won't help with Model 2 or Model 3.

Edited by garbanzo

I did this a long time ago for a different front end, and wound up undoing it for launchbox, but there might be a way to do this by separating the roms. You'll need a .dat file, or .xml file that has the systems listed separately. You can find those around the internet, but for stuff like atomiswave, zinc, sega model 2 & 3 you can use a Hyperlist xml.

think Clrmamepro has the functionality. It's been a really long time, but what you can do is load the hyperlist xml, say for zinc, into clrmamepro, and then point that at your mame roms and tell the program to rebuild based on the xml at a different location (it should have to option to "copy" and maybe even to "move".) If you use copy, it'll copy just those roms to a different directory while leaving the original mame set in tact. If clrmamepro doesn't work, there are other programs that can do this too.

However, I don't know how up to date the hyperlists are.

The key elements here are a file that lists these systems individually in a usable format (.dat or .xml)

And a program that can move/copy/ or rebuild sets of which there is no shortage.

Hope it helps!

Edit: it should be noted that if you physically separate them, I have no idea how you would us clrmamepro to keep them up to date with future versions. For that reason, I recommend keeping your original mame set in tact. Lastly, sorry I can't be more specific. I went through the "rom" phase of my retro journey too many years ago haha. But a quick google search is your friend.    

Edited by fromlostdays

7 hours ago, DOS76 said:

there is a Demul pack for the latest version of Demul available on PleasureDome

Thanks, that will help. I don't need to download 32gb of data I already have, but at least I can turn the file list in to a quick script to copy the games then go from there.

• 5 months later...