LaunchBox Community Forums

Xarcade Tankstick

fuzzman34

I just downloaded all the cores that were on retroarch through Launchbox. Currently the N64 games I have are now uploading to Launchbox. It will take about an hour I have 7gbs of games. Once those are done hopefully the mapping I did in Retroarch will work for the N64 games. Thank you guys for reaching out and helping. This has been a frustrating patch to get my arcade going. I have found so far Launchbox to be the easiest to set up. I was using emulationstation on raspberry pi 3 but was having other issues so now I am using my old PC and using Launchbox. I have already noticed the quality in N64 games since the change. So has my son. HAHA

We recommend as you add systems to first set the emulator up and test the games directly in the emulator to make sure they work as well as your controls. Once that is done then add it to Launchbox. That way should something not work after you add it, it will be easier to trouble shoot the problem. 

Ok so I just added all the N64 games and they are on Launchbox and load up. However my button mapping for 2 players are a mess. I did the buttons in retroarch. Because it sees the Tankstick as a keyboard some of the buttons are the same for Joy2 as they are for Joy2. In mame you can add a tankstick config file and mame sees the buttons as xarcade commands and not keyboard commands. So this is why my navigation buttons in Big Box are all messed up. 

In Launchbox under options > input > Gampad/joystick there is a DEVICE field that I would assume is where I can add some sort of config file for the xarcade joystick. Does that sound right? If so where do I get that file from and how do I install it. 

3 minutes ago, fuzzman34 said:

In Launchbox under options > input > Gampad/joystick there is a DEVICE field that I would assume is where I can add some sort of config file for the xarcade joystick. Does that sound right? If so where do I get that file from and how do I install it.

That is game pads which are seen as controllers in Windows, as I said before the Tankstick is seen as a keyboard, this is just how its encoder works.

1 hour ago, fuzzman34 said:

Ok so I just added all the N64 games and they are on Launchbox and load up. However my button mapping for 2 players are a mess. I did the buttons in retroarch. Because it sees the Tankstick as a keyboard some of the buttons are the same for Joy2 as they are for Joy2. In mame you can add a tankstick config file and mame sees the buttons as xarcade commands and not keyboard commands. So this is why my navigation buttons in Big Box are all messed up. 

Mame and the controls mapped there, even if you are using the xarcade config, have nothing to do with BigBox and the controls inside BigBox. Inside BigBox you have to map the keyboard controls and those are only for moving around inside BigBox. It does not do affect the emulator at all. Did you go into the keyboard settings inside BigBox and map your controls? 

Even if you are using the xarcade config mame still sees the commands a keystrokes. It is just the config file already knows what the stock key configuration is for an Xarcade tankstick. If you look in the config you will see it lists Keycode_LALT, Keycode_SPACE, and so on. 

@fuzzman34I use a Tankstick on a older arcade machine I built and had a lot of problems with being able to map controls on some games especially games on steam like MK 9, Injustice and MK X.  X-Gaming makes a new tri-mode pcb for the tankstick that will make it into a Xinput device (Xbox360) controller, once I installed that it works great for every game and every system now. Check it out here https://shop.xgaming.com/collections/adapters/products/pre-order-new-x-arcade-xinput-upgrade-kit.

51 minutes ago, fuzzman34 said:

I have that board you mentioned. Ill have to install that. Hopefully that will do the job thanks!

It works good it will recognize the tankstick as two Xbox 360 controllers. The only downside is you will have to redo any button mappings you have already done in MAME and other emulators to use the 360 buttons. Some games like MegaMan X8 for the PC and a few others will only recognize keyboard mappings still, so in order to not have to switch the tankstick back to Dinput and back to Xinput I use Antimicro for those games. That will allow for you to map the 360 controls to keyboard inputs. 

• 8 months later...

Reviving this old thread.  I have the tri-mode pcb board. Is there a way to configure retroarch to either use my 360 controller (Xinput 1) or my left tankstick controller (Xinput 3) to be used for User 1? I'd like to have the option to use one or the other.