LaunchBox Community Forums
DarkRiverCoke

Slow loading Times

Posted (edited)

Hey guys and girls,

i'm a big fan of your Project but im getting big problems with the Loading Times of Launchbox Big Box.

I think that i dont have the best conditions for my setup, but the loading times are up to 20 - 30 Minutes. I have a high-end gaming PC and a set-up of just over 20,000 games by Colpipes.

However, I have the whole thing not internally but on an external Nas hard drive. Is this maybe the Problem? Using a WD My Cloud.

Unfortunately, due to the huge amount, the games are no longer running smoothly. Do I have to upgrade to an internal hard drive or are this just too many games for Launchbox?

Edited by DarkRiverCoke

I can't speak to the loading times on NAS, but I've heard other users say they use it with no problems. 

I have a launchbox setup with 60k games on an internal sata and it takes about 5 seconds to load.

You should never download anyone else's builds. It makes is impossible to troubleshoot. :) 

Do you think it would be better, to start a new Setup and just use the Games from Colpipes?

Launchbox is easy to setup, but I thought such a finished build would save work. 

Just be afraid that it is actually because the files are on the NAS Drive.

3 minutes ago, DarkRiverCoke said:

Do you think it would be better, to start a new Setup and just use the Games from Colpipes?

Launchbox is easy to setup, but I thought such a finished build would save work. 

Just be afraid that it is actually because the files are on the NAS Drive.

The actual roms on a NAS should be fine,lots of people do that. As for the actual program being on the NAS as well i cant speak to that but i can see it being slower as Launchbox is retrieving a lot of data and images all the time. I have never heard of anyone saying that it takes 20-30 minutes to load though, that seems very very excessive, even if running over the network.

Yeah I use ROMs from my server no issues. I wouldn't even attempt to run LB from it.