LaunchBox Community Forums

Portable?

Towndrunk

Is LaunchBox/BigBox portable?   The reason I ask is that I have been setting up things on an external 3TB USB3.0 drive on a spare desktop at work.  It is a Windows 7 Pro x64 box with minimal processing power.  I was just using it to set things up, and make configuration changes.  I finally got things the way I wanted them to be, and I took the drive home last night to show my son.  We played a few games on my laptop, a Windows 10 Pro x64 box, and things worked fine.  

I brought the drive back to work today to make some final changes, and I felt I was done.  I moved from there to a new Core i7 box I just build running Window 10 Pro x64 and everything just fell apart.  I can't launch any ROMs from LaunchBox or BigBox, Retroarch will no longer update cores, my controller isn't working correctly, etc.  It worked fine every other time I moved it, but today even the emulators outside of Retroarch had to all be configured again.  They still aren't working after I reconfigured, but I'm at a loss.  I don't know why things wouldn't work after moving computers.  

My account is a local admin on each pc, so I don't think it is a permissions issue.  The weirdest one is Retroarch letting me, but when I push Enter to download a Core nothing happens.  When I launch a ROM with Retroarch, Dolphin, ReDream, or anything else it just sits and does nothing. . . Black screen.  I really don't want to have to start my entire configuration process over again, but if that is what I have to do I will.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice on this.

Hello again @Towndrunk i would check to see that none of the PC's you plugged it into have tried to claim the drive. I have seen this before with portable USB drives that they work fine, then you plug it into a system that mounts and claims the drive. Meaning its not recognised on others correctly moving forward.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Ive done what the videos say to do however it begins to boot and stops after a couple seconds. I used to run Launchbox on this PC so I know its capable. For some reason it just won't boot up. The PC i set it up on works fine with the drive however.

any idea what I can do?

• 6 months later...
On 7/8/2021 at 1:13 AM, C-Beats said:

Make sure all the dependencies are installed on the computer LaunchBox is failing to run. Need Direct X as well as the .NET Core 3.1 desktop runtime installed.

Isn't the whole point of "portable" that you don't have to make sure "all the dependencies" are installed on the computer?

This bugs me for some time now. I would like to install a LaunchBox based system that is complete and utterly "portable". Meaning it just works on ANY say "Windows 10". Is this even possible?

• 2 months later...
On 1/25/2022 at 10:52 AM, Jimmy Gee said:

Isn't the whole point of "portable" that you don't have to make sure "all the dependencies" are installed on the computer?

This bugs me for some time now. I would like to install a LaunchBox based system that is complete and utterly "portable". Meaning it just works on ANY say "Windows 10". Is this even possible?

Short answer is...technically no. That's not really LBs fault though. It's the few emulators that need those of decencies. I imagine one could figure out what emulators could work without needing a single depency and have only those emulators/roms on there. Having 2 little things to run first time to get thousands of games to work isn't too bad though and there's not much else that could be done to improve that.

• 2 months later...