LaunchBox Community Forums

POLL - why do you enjoy this hobby?

Retrofrogg

POLL - reasons for this hobby  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you enjoy this hobby? What makes you interested in emulation?

• For the enjoyment of playing video games in general
    • Due to specifically enjoying retro / older video games
    • For nostalgic reasons / to replay a game or games played or owned in the past
    • As a collector, to collect games / sets and to build up a big collection
    • Due to an interest in the technical side of emulation and the underlying code or programming
    • To play and collect more recent games that would otherwise be unaffordable to buy
    • Due to an interest in the history of systems & platforms (i.e. consoles, computers etc) rather than the games themselves
    • As part of a commercial enterprise / to make money
    • To help preserve or archive past games, systems and media
    • Because it's more convenient than using the physical games
    • Because of the added functionality an emulator may have over the original platform (e.g. cheats, controller options, etc)
    • Because friends or family are into it
    • Other (please state below)

I was looking at all the developments and feature requests, and this led me to thinking; why do we engage in this hobby? Assuming that the hobby is collecting and or/playing retro games and using a frontend such as Launchbox (rather than just playing current games), please select as many of the reasons in the poll that apply to you.

Edited by Retrofrogg

Only 2 reasons for me, enjoyment of playing and convenience.

I get to go back and play games that I missed out on back in the day or games that were never released here that can now be played with translation patches. Also trying to go out and buy all these old systems in good working condition and the good games is just absurdly expensive.

Now that I have a pretty large collection set up, it's great fun to search across all systems for something like Gradius or Street Fighter or Castlevania or Bomberman, then sort by release date. Seeing an entire series spread out across several decades, crossing from arcades to home consoles and handhelds, is just amazing. And having every one of those games just a click away is even better!

So for me, a big draw of the hobby is the fact that I can see this big picture, and understand individual retro games in a bigger context. It's the database part of LB that appeals to me the most. I absolutely love playlists and nested filters and other ways that let me cross-reference everything.

Oh, and I like playing games too :)

• Like 1

One of the coolest things for me is the fact that we all are collectively preserving video game history on each of our setups.  It's a big problem for preservationists in general, and seems to be overlooked mostly.  I like the feeling of being a part of something that is helping to save these cultural artifacts in some form or another.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...