LaunchBox Community Forums

How Keyboard Automation works

Rincewind

I've only just started to play around with the new pause screens and when I added a new keyboard button for the pause screen to work I thought I would look in the Keyboard Automation options and saw there were also a place there to add a key. So what's the difference between the two and is there an advantage to one over the other?

1 minute ago, Rincewind said:

@Jason Carr could you explain the difference please

I think the automation is for if you want a keyboard combo rather than just a straight button press. So if you left the global button empty but assigned a hold and pause key in keyboard automation you need to hold a key then press another to activate the pause. At least that would be my guess. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

I think the automation is for if you want a keyboard combo rather than just a straight button press. So if you left the global button empty but assigned a hold and pause key in keyboard automation you need to hold a key then press another to activate the pause. At least that would be my guess. :)

Yes, that is correct. Keyboard automation works the same as controller automation, and requires the hold key pressed before the pause key will work. If you simply bind a key to the pause key, it will always work with just that key (while games are running).

11 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

So I set one key in both keyboard and keyboard automation then in game press them both

If you want to use the keyboard automation, you should remove it from the standard keyboard bindings and only use the keyboard automation settings.

7 minutes ago, wallmachine said:

whats controller automation? I want clean exits and Jason said to use controller automation to achieve that.

I

Controller automation will exit the game as soon as you use it, rather than having to close the pause screen then firing the close command. So the same exit with automation that has been there for years now, set a combo and use it rather than gong into a screen you dont need to.