LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox Crashing immediately

jasonmbrown

I just imported my steam library and was in the middle of importing my other games however It seems like it was 2 many for Launchbox to handle at once and it locked up. So I had to end process. 2nd Time launching it Immediately crashes (pops up the loading bar then encounters an error). Its installed to a USB HDD.

Where can I find error logs. It doesn't seem to have created anything in the Logs folder.

4IYsnjK.png

Edited by jasonmbrown

2 minutes ago, jasonmbrown said:

I just imported my steam library and was in the middle of importing my other games however It seems like it was 2 many for Launchbox to handle at once and it locked up. So I had to end process. 2nd Time launching it Immediately crashes (pops up the loading bar then encounters an error). Its installed to a USB HDD.

Where can I find error logs.. It doesn't seem to have created anything in the Logs folder.

Can you post the error please? Logs need to be turned on, either in the UI or in the settings.xml by changing it from false to true.

Ok So After Importing my steam Games it immediately starts doing it again. Here's the log

2019-05-27 08:14:42 AM Libraries Initialization: Looking for missing files...
2019-05-27 08:14:42 AM Libraries Initialization: Completed.
2019-05-27 08:14:42 AM All necessary config files and folders now confirmed to exist.
2019-05-27 08:14:42 AM About to initialize WPF App constructor...
2019-05-27 08:14:42 AM Resolving assembly CefSharp.Wpf, Version=73.1.130.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40c4b6fc221f4138...
2019-05-27 08:14:42 AM CefSharp assembly path: T:\LaunchBox\CefSharp\x64\CefSharp.Wpf.dll
2019-05-27 08:14:42 AM CefSharp assembly path found, loading...
2019-05-27 08:14:42 AM Resolving assembly CefSharp.Core, Version=73.1.130.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40c4b6fc221f4138...
2019-05-27 08:14:42 AM CefSharp assembly path: T:\LaunchBox\CefSharp\x64\CefSharp.Core.dll
2019-05-27 08:14:42 AM CefSharp assembly path found, loading...
2019-05-27 08:14:42 AM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: Could not load file or assembly 'CefSharp.Core.dll' or one of its dependencies. Invalid access to memory location. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703E6)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoadFile(String path, Evidence evidence)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFile(String path)
   at (<>c , Object , ResolveEventArgs )

It should have full access rights to the install directory as I am on an admin account with UAC Turned off along with a couple other tweaks to run everything as admin with full rights automatically.
Is it possible Im running out ram?

Edit:
Im running windows 7 x64 Bit 2.1ghz Dualcore
8gb Memory

Heres the Error Displayed in visualstudio 2015

An unhandled exception of type 'System.BadImageFormatException' occurred in LaunchBox.exe

Additional information: Could not load file or assembly 'CefSharp.Core, Version=73.1.130.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40c4b6fc221f4138' or one of its dependencies. Invalid access to memory location. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703E6)

Edited by jasonmbrown

17 minutes ago, jasonmbrown said:

Ok So After Importing my steam Games it immediately starts doing it again. Here's the log

It should have full access rights to the install directory as I am on an admin account with UAC Turned off along with a couple other tweaks to run everything as admin with full rights automatically.
Is it possible Im running out ram?

Edit:
Im running windows 7 x64 Bit 2.1ghz Dualcore
8gb Memory

Heres the Error Displayed in visualstudio 2015

This is well over my head im afraid, ill pass this onto Jason and see if he can make any sense of it.

Ok thanks. I will try a few different things, to try and get it working in the meantime. If I figure out the cause I will let you guys know. Im joining the discord, If there's anything I can do to assist debugging let me know.

Edited by jasonmbrown

Hmm, try deleting the LaunchBox\CefSharp folder while LaunchBox is closed, and then restart LaunchBox. That may fix the issue. If not, then there's some kind of really odd issue with the Chromium Embedded Framework on your system. Invalid access to memory location is not something I have ever seen before, but it doesn't sound good. My first guess would be that maybe it's a RAM hardware issue. Have you tried running a memory test?

Other than that, here is one more thing to try. This article suggests that it could possibly be related to Visual C++ 2012: http://deepbot.tv/forums/index.php?topic=4488.120

Try installing (or uninstalling and reinstalling) it from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=30679

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Deleting CefSharp Works, Until Next launch (at which point Launchbox tries to read the ones from the folder and fails again).
And ya the error is def weird I will give uninstalling and reinstalling visual C++ a try. Btw Thanks for the help ?

Edited by jasonmbrown

So After Deleting the CefSharp folder and launching Launchbox 4 times, Its working without deleting the CefSharp folder. Im thinking there might have been some weird issue with my trusted installer rights screwing with the permissions and it took a bit for windows to update the owner of the dll's to my user account. Thanks for the help ?

Edited by jasonmbrown
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, jasonmbrown said:

So After Deleting the CefSharp folder and launching Launchbox 4 times, Its working without deleting the CefSharp folder. Im thinking there might have been some weird issue with my trusted installer rights screwing with the permissions and it took a bit for windows to update the owner of the dll's to my user account. Thanks for the help ?

I will just add that Launchbox will never need administrative rights, and that could actually cause issues as launching games will mean the emulator needs to elevate rights also. 

• Thanks 1

I am having this exact issue and with the exact same log error. Started once I updated to 9.8. I was using LB for an hour before I did the update with no troubles. Tried the troubleshooting advise in this thread. Reinstalled LB, Reinstalled VB Runtimes, Tested the memory and deleted the Cefsharp folders. Nothing seems to correct the error.  Windows 8.1 with 32 gigs of RAM. 

9 hours ago, TirionAlexander said:

I am having this exact issue and with the exact same log error. Started once I updated to 9.8. I was using LB for an hour before I did the update with no troubles. Tried the troubleshooting advise in this thread. Reinstalled LB, Reinstalled VB Runtimes, Tested the memory and deleted the Cefsharp folders. Nothing seems to correct the error.  Windows 8.1 with 32 gigs of RAM. 

Did you reinstall the VB runtimes or the C++ runtimes? I believe the Visual C++ 2012 runtimes were the ones that were needed.

Sorry, I was suffering from late night brain. I used the link in one of the trouble shooting posts above, the C++ 2012.  I ultimately got it working by reinstalling 9.7 version CefSharp folder. For whatever reason, it does not like the 9.8 update. This is a dedicated arcade cabinet so LB and the emulators + roms are really the only software on this machine.

2 hours ago, TirionAlexander said:

Sorry, I was suffering from late night brain. I used the link in one of the trouble shooting posts above, the C++ 2012.  I ultimately got it working by reinstalling 9.7 version CefSharp folder. For whatever reason, it does not like the 9.8 update. This is a dedicated arcade cabinet so LB and the emulators + roms are really the only software on this machine.

Are you on the 9.8 update then? Or still on 9.7?

15 minutes ago, TirionAlexander said:

Sorry, yeah I am using the 9.7 version. I delete the CefSharp folder after installing 9.7 and it works. I tried again last night to update and nothing will make it work with 9.8 deleting the CefSharp in 9.8 does not correct the issue. For now I am staying with 9.7 for my install. 

Okay, I looked into it deeper and the only additional thing I've found is that it could be because you need to install/repair both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the Visual C++ Redistributable. Other than that, I'm lost on this I think.

1 hour ago, mcfilmmakers said:

I am also getting this issue with 9.8. Launchbox works fine in 9.7 but after updating to 9.8, it crashes on startup. Deleting cefsharp solves the problem.

Does it solve the issue permanently or does it come back?