LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME GAMES DON'T LOAD AFTER UPDATE 9.8

bman83

1 hour ago, bman83 said:

Hi Everything works except mame in version 9.8.

Is there a solution?

I tried @neil9000 solution to highlight arcade roms and bulk edit but rom path folder is not there am I missing something thanks in advance

image.pngimage.png

Responded to your other post on this. Can you be more specific as to what you mean by not working? Do games just not launch? Do they launch and crash? Do they launch but you see a black screen? We need a bit more information to try and trouble shoot. 

Hi @Retro808

The Mame emulator does not load the games. I get a launchbox loading screen and a launchbox game over screen. I have since tried to rollback the update by installing version 9.7 setup over the top of the 9.8 install. At this point Launchbox and bigbox doesn't load at all. 

If you run a game directly in Mame (not using Launchbox) they still work correct?

If so, try going into Launchbox and turn off Startup screens globally (for all emulators) or just turn it off for Mame and see if the games launch. I would turn it off in the Launchbox and BigBox settings if you turn them off globally. 

I'm running into an issue after the 9.8 update on 2 separate machines that mame doesn't seem to like these new default parameters added "-keyboardprovider dinput" I get an unknown option error from both command line mame and arcade (ui) with this parameter on.

Is there something I'm missing as it looks like this was added intentionally for the new pause screens?

Hi @JoeViking245

I think version .158 it's old I know. I am happy to stick with the version I have since it's all working in previous versions on LB. I have all my other emulators working fine. I am looking for a solution to roll back the update. I installed LB 9.7 over the top of 9.8 and then LB would not initialize and then load at all.

So then I reinstalled update 9.8 and I am back where I started. 

Is there a clean rollback the update to an earlier version of LB?

10 hours ago, Retro808 said:

If you run a game directly in Mame (not using Launchbox) they still work correct?

If so, try going into Launchbox and turn off Startup screens globally (for all emulators) or just turn it off for Mame and see if the games launch. I would turn it off in the Launchbox and BigBox settings if you turn them off globally. 

Hi @Retro808, Thanks for getting back to me. Yes running the game directly through mame works perfectly and runs the game. Ok I will try turning off the startup screens. Although the 9.7 version of LB had startup screens and mame worked fine then. 

thanks in advance. 

12 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

What version of Mame are you using?  Older versions don't have that parameter as an option.

I actually just updated to 209, but although I updated the default emu to version 209, I still had some individual games set to run on different versions etc. It was not working with 170, so I bulk edited all mame games and changed them to the default 209 and all is good now.

@bman83If you're running 158 double check the emulator parameters, when I updated to 9.8 all my mame stuff stopped working because new parameters were added. I also tried rolling back to 9.7 but for some reason kept getting install errors. Once I removed the new parameters it started working fine. 

@bman83 In the top left click the menu ->Tools -> Manage Emulators. Then find your mame emulator from the list, the third column on the right shows the default parameters, it is shows "-keyboardprovider dinput" then click on the emulator line and click the "Edit" button. Here you can remove the parameter and click "ok"

16 minutes ago, bman83 said:

Hi @chiukian

Where is the menu for the parameters in LB 9.8 and how do I access it thanks 

appreciate your quick reply. 

cheers Bman

Just go to >Tools>Manage Emulators and edit Mame. You will see the default command line parameters box on the first tab. Delete -keyboardprovider dinput and test. 

If you are running a version that old that is likely the issue. The update added the paramenters -keyboardprovider dinput to the default command line. With old versions of Mame this will not work. Try removing it and see if things work again. If it does unfortunately you will either have to keep doing that work around or update your Mame and Roms. With new features being added to Launchbox I would recommend bringing your roms and emulators to more current states. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 9.04.30 PM.png

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Just go to >Tools>Manage Emulators and edit Mame. You will see the default command line parameters box on the first tab. Delete -keyboardprovider dinput and test. 

If you are running a version that old that is likely the issue. The update added the paramenters -keyboardprovider dinput to the default command line. With old versions of Mame this will not work. Try removing it and see if things work again. If it does unfortunately you will either have to keep doing that work around or update your Mame and Roms. With new features being added to Launchbox I would recommend bringing your roms and emulators to more current states. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 9.04.30 PM.png

this worked thanks