LaunchBox Community Forums

Game Extracts Files, Then Does Nothing

Mareio

Hey, I just wanted to play some Mario games so I decided to give Launchbox a try. I followed a few tutorials, that carried me until I attempted to play the game. When I hit play, It pops up a box, '7-Zip self-extracting archive' where I click 'extract' and it begins to extract, I guess. After I click extract another pop up shows 'Confirm File Replace' reading "Would you like you replace the existing file" I click Yes to all and it continues extracting. Then once its done, nothing happens. On the right side of the Launchbox It even says Ive played it several times. I am using MAME Emulator. I am a complete noob to this so the problem could be right infront of my face, either way, please help.

This sounds like you have not extracted your Mame download, it comes as a self extracting zip file which you need to extract to a folder first, then you can point Launchbox to that as the emulator to use.

I would also highly recommend using something like Snes9x for Super Nintendo emulation, non arcade games are doable but the quality can be hit and miss such as with SNES it's not so good. Also emulating consoles and computers using Mame is a more advanced subject

I downloaded Dolphin Emulator and did the same thing as last time. Except when I try to play, a screen pops up 'An error occurred while trying to launch the game: No application is associated with the specified file for this operation'

Edited by Mareio

I tried that, and it almost worked. When I went to go play the game, it launched and stayed as a black screen before an error popped up "Warning IntCPU: Unknown instruction 00000000 at PC = 00000000 last_PC = 00000000 LR = 00000000" In which it did nothing when i hit "Yes" and when I hit "No" it closed the game and went back to launchbox. 

3 minutes ago, Mareio said:

I tried that, and it almost worked. When I went to go play the game, it launched and stayed as a black screen before an error popped up "Warning IntCPU: Unknown instruction 00000000 at PC = 00000000 last_PC = 00000000 LR = 00000000" In which it did nothing when i hit "Yes" and when I hit "No" it closed the game and went back to launchbox. 

Thats a Dolphin error, it doesnt look like it likes your cpu, what cpu do you have?

2 minutes ago, Mareio said:

Im not sure how to check that, but im almost positive it does.

A quick google of the error throws up this thread, its for mac but the error is the same, they say its a bad game dump in this case. So your Mario Galaxy may be bad.

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-mac-dolphin-5-0-error-intcpu-unknown-instruction-00000000-at-pc-00000000

• 8 months later...

I'm having the same problem.  I have MAME 0.202 and Launchbox 10.11.  I just imported a little over 3,000 games into LaunchBox (It took about 24 hours including the artwork and stuff).  When I double-click on a game a pop-up comes up saying 7-Zip self-extracting archive.  I extracted it to both F:MAME/ where it suggests (and F:/MAME/ROMs where I have my games).  It asks if I want to replace or skip the files.  I replace them since they are the same, and then it extracts.  After that it takes me back to Launchbox where I can click the game again.  When I double-click the game again it does the same thing.  I've opened some of these games just using the MAME exe file and it works fine, but in LaunchBox it just brings up the self-extraction thing again.  I just bought LaunchBox because it was so cool looking, but I need help to know what to do (I'm a total noob at this, and I have so far only tried arcade games (which worked on the MAME exe file)).  Thank you for any help and your patience!

-Joe

16 minutes ago, RevJoe98 said:

I'm having the same problem.  I have MAME 0.202 and Launchbox 10.11.  I just imported a little over 3,000 games into LaunchBox (It took about 24 hours including the artwork and stuff).  When I double-click on a game a pop-up comes up saying 7-Zip self-extracting archive.  I extracted it to both F:MAME/ where it suggests (and F:/MAME/ROMs where I have my games).  It asks if I want to replace or skip the files.  I replace them since they are the same, and then it extracts.  After that it takes me back to Launchbox where I can click the game again.  When I double-click the game again it does the same thing.  I've opened some of these games just using the MAME exe file and it works fine, but in LaunchBox it just brings up the self-extraction thing again.  I just bought LaunchBox because it was so cool looking, but I need help to know what to do (I'm a total noob at this, and I have so far only tried arcade games (which worked on the MAME exe file)).  Thank you for any help and your patience!

-Joe

If you go to Tools>Manage Emulators and then edit your Mame does it show you are pointing to the mame64.exe or the mame extraction exe (it would be named something like mame0218b_64bt.exe)?

• Unusual Gem 1

I have mame64.exe and mame0219b_64bit.exe in my main folder, but when I searched Launch Box, I have the mame0219b_64bit.exe selected under manage emulators.  Is that wrong and will fixing it make me import all of that again (it took 24 hours to get all the artwork).  

1 minute ago, RevJoe98 said:

I have mame64.exe and mame0219b_64bit.exe in my main folder, but when I searched Launch Box, I have the mame0219b_64bit.exe selected under manage emulators.  Is that wrong and will fixing it make me import all of that again (it took 24 hours to get all the artwork).  

Just go to tools/manage emulators/mame and change the path to the correct .exe.

• Thanks 1