LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch - PCSX ReArmed not launching in Big Box or Launchbox

VarinRooBat

Hiya. First off, LaunchBox rules, and I love every bit of it.

However, I'm trying to use a RetroArch core(PCSX ReArmed) For my Playstation games. They launch fine if I open RetroArch, and open a game file through the program, but if I try to launch the game through LaunchBox or Big Box itself, I will get a loading icon, but the game never launches.

Is there an option or something I am missing, or any tips/tricks?

Just now, VarinRooBat said:

Hiya. First off, LaunchBox rules, and I love every bit of it.

However, I'm trying to use a RetroArch core(PCSX ReArmed) For my Playstation games. They launch fine if I open RetroArch, and open a game file through the program, but if I try to launch the game through LaunchBox or Big Box itself, I will get a loading icon, but the game never launches.

Is there an option or something I am missing, or any tips/tricks?

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Have you specified the PS1 platform to use PCSX ReARMed? I assume you have Retroarch setup in Launchbox correctly and other systems are working? If so have you told Launchbox which core to use for your PS1 system, i believe it is using beetle by default, so you need to change that. Go to Tools/Manage Emulators, double click Retroarch and go to the "Associated Platform" tab and find PS1, and double click in the core box to open the dropdown and choose the core. Also you will need to make sure that the platform name in the associated platform tab matches EXACTLY what you called the platform in Launchbox, case also matters.

5 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Have you specified the PS1 platform to use PCSX ReARMed? I assume you have Retroarch setup in Launchbox correctly and other systems are working? If so have you told Launchbox which core to use for your PS1 system, i believe it is using beetle by default, so you need to change that. Go to Tools/Manage Emulators, double click Retroarch and go to the "Associated Platform" tab and find PS1, and double click in the core box to open the dropdown and choose the core. Also you will need to make sure that the platform name in the associated platform tab matches EXACTLY what you called the platform in Launchbox, case also matters.

Good god that worked. You're the greatest. Thanks!

1 minute ago, VarinRooBat said:

I assume you mean specifying the core? If so there are some defaults that are pre-populated in Launchbox when you add Retroarch as a emulator that can be changed to what you actually want to use. As all systems will vary in performance and users will also have preferences on which cores they want to use. There are a few there that i personally change, as i have a fairly decent PC so can use some of the more demanding cores that are not selected by default.

7 minutes ago, VarinRooBat said:

I would also recommend depending on you PC specs to try one of the beetle cores for PS1, the standard core uses software rendering, but the HW core will allow upscaling the graphics if you have a dedicated GPU in your system. PCSX REARMED is actually the worst of the three cores available for emulating PS1.

On 7/5/2019 at 9:59 AM, neil9000 said:

I would also recommend depending on you PC specs to try one of the beetle cores for PS1, the standard core uses software rendering, but the HW core will allow upscaling the graphics if you have a dedicated GPU in your system. PCSX REARMED is actually the worst of the three cores available for emulating PS1.

Checked out Beetle, and yeah. I can definitely see why you steered me away from REARMED. Thanks!

• Like 1