LaunchBox Community Forums

Importing a full MAME Software (not ROM) Set without configuring each platform

slagfart

Yo folks,

New to LaunchBox so sorry if this is stupid. Since the integration of MESS into MAME, there is now a full 'Software' set of ROMs and CHDs (about 2.1TB) that are playable in MAME. This includes oodles and oodles of old console systems from things I have heard of (Like the Commodore 64 or the Sega CD), and then many more which I have no idea about (like a system called 'svi318_cart'). I could sit and google each one, and configure the platform before importing the set for that system, but there are 541 (five hundred and forty-one) different systems and variants in this set, making this task herculean.

How do I import them all in one sweep? Ideally each system would have a different 'platform' in LaunchBox/BigBox with the variants (e.g. c64_cart, c64_cass, c64_flop) consolidated into one platform in the interface.

Thanks!!

This is not something that is supported directly with pre-populated command lines or the software lists in the full set importer.

While Mame is amazing at arcade emulation and is very good at some console / computer system emulation it is generally not the way we would recommend emulating those systems outside of a small selection of edge cases where Mame is the only truly viable option over other emulator options.

Also bear in mind that where a MAME software system has games in various formats such as cartridge, cassette and floppy disk formats, or has multiple software lists it's not a simple matter to "consolidate" them into a single Platform due to the Default Parameters required by MAME.
You would need to either create different Platforms for each format, or go with a single Platform using Default Parameters for the majority of games that use a particular media or software list type amd use Custom Parameters for the other formats.

Thanks for the replies guys.

37 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

This is not something that is supported directly with pre-populated command lines or the software lists in the full set importer.

Sad! Is there documentation available around how I can write to the internal LaunchBox configs? I'm sure I could whip something up that at least creates the skeleton of each platform and directory if I could write this into .ini or via commandline.

2 minutes ago, spycat said:

You would need to either create different Platforms for each format, or go with a single Platform using Default Parameters for the majority of games that use a particular media or software list type amd use Custom Parameters for the other formats.

The latter option is probably preferable, as most games for a given system/platform were only distributed via a single format. Effectively, it would be multiple 'paths' for different formats within each platform.