LaunchBox Community Forums

I am extremely disappointed with this app

2 minutes ago, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhwyanwunt said:

i dont know why there were just there and now there not

Launchbox never just deletes games unless you yourself tell it to. It could be that you have one of the "Hide games missing.......media" boxes checked under the view dropdown.

13 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

You are end tasking Launchbox, do not do that. Launchbox needs to write the files when you close it, so you are not allowing it to write to the Playstation 2.xml file.

its not just task ending, it happens anytime i do a hard reset to launchbox. i just restarted my comptur and that specfic game just got removed. this began to happen when i updated to 9.9

4 minutes ago, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhwyanwunt said:

its not just task ending, it happens anytime i do a hard reset to launchbox. i just restarted my comptur and that specfic game just got removed. this began to happen when i updated to 9.9

That game got removed because you did not close Launchbox correctly. You just went into task manager and ended the task, that is not how you should close any program, its there to close programs that have hung/crashed. Just rebooting your PC while Launchbox is open is the same thing its not a safe exit, you are simply just killing the program. Launchbox needs to write the games that you added to the .xml file, but it can not do this while the file is in use, which it is the whole time that Launchbox is open. So it writes the new information to the correct files when you close Launchbox via the normal method of clicking the X in the top right corner.

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

That game got removed because you did not close Launchbox correctly. You just went into task manager and ended the task, that is not how you should close any program, its there to close programs that have hung/crashed. Just rebooting your PC while Launchbox is open is the same thing its not a safe exit, you are simply just killing the program. Launchbox needs to write the games that you added to the .xml file, but it can not do this while the file is in use, which it is the whole time that Launchbox is open. So it writes the new information to the correct files when you close Launchbox via the normal method of clicking the X in the top right corner.

so what your telling me is that if i close the program normally then shut off my computer the file should still be there? well i just did that and its not, its likely to do with some screw up with the lastest patch because right after i downloaded the patch this started happening.

7 hours ago, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhwyanwunt said:

....its likely to do with some screw up with the lastest patch because right after i downloaded the patch this started happening.

Probably not the most polite way to get a dev or others to help you. Telling him he “screwed up”. 

Have you tried to reinstall the last version it worked on and see if the issue goes away. 

13 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Probably not the most polite way to get a dev or others to help you. Telling him he “screwed up”. 

Have you tried to reinstall the last version it worked on and see if the issue goes away. 

no i haven't, i dont think i was being rude because he kept trying to convince me in a smug way it was something that i had done when it was clearly the patch that caused it. 

1 hour ago, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhwyanwunt said:

no i haven't, i dont think i was being rude because he kept trying to convince me in a smug way it was something that i had done when it was clearly the patch that caused it. 

The thing though is it is not clear it is the latest update. Nothing you have provided shows it is a bug in the latest release because you have provided no troubleshooting background. You have not even tried to reinstall the last working version to confirm. So making a blanket statement it is the fault of the developer is unwarranted.

So far you are the only person having this issue. Not saying it may not be a bug, but troubleshoot first before claiming the developer “screwed up”. 

Two things I recommend. 1) Reinstall the last version and let us know. 2) Run a sfc /scannow to see if windows finds any issues?

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

The thing though is it is not clear it is the latest update. Nothing you have provided shows it is a bug in the latest release because you have provided no troubleshooting background. You have not even tried to reinstall the last working version to confirm. So making a blanket statement it is the fault of the developer is unwarranted.

So far you are the only person having this issue. Not saying it may not be a bug, but troubleshoot first before claiming the developer “screwed up”. 

Two things I recommend. 1) Reinstall the last version and let us know. 2) Run a sfc /scannow to see if windows finds any issues?

i reinstalled launchbox and the issue has persisted deleting the same games over and over it turns out it doesnt even need to be a hard reset for it to delete the games data if i do the control x exit it deletes the files anyways

5 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Reinstalled what? The same version or prior working version. It helps to clearly state what was done. 

Did you check anything else? Shutdown all other programs to make sure something else is not interfering?

i wouldnt have any other program which i wouldnt normally have on none of which ever caused this

42 minutes ago, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhwyanwunt said:

i reinstalled the same verison 

OK, well that really does not help since that is the version you say is not working. My advice was to reinstall that last version that was working. That way we can see if the issue goes away.  So, again, I recommend going into your updates folder and finding the installer for the version before this one and run it. It will not erase any data. Then test the game imports. 

41 minutes ago, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhwyanwunt said:

i wouldnt have any other program which i wouldnt normally have on none of which ever caused this

That still does not discount something causing an issue. We are trying to help so some help in return is needed. Close down all programs not needed for Launchbox and test the game import. 

What drive is Launchbox located on? Are you running as admin by chance?  @DOS76 mentioned there could be a permissions issue. Have you recently changed anything besides downloading the new update?