LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox and MAME BIOS files help needed...

GamingMill

I'm pretty new to all this (well, not used MAME for well over a decade!) Here's what I've got:

LaunchBox 10.1.0.0

MAME (64 bit) 0.213

All ROMS including CHDs (all merged) 0.213

All BIOS 0.213

All is working perfectly fine...except I have no idea where to but the BIOS files and how to configure LaunchBox / MAME with them. I have searched but was somewhat overwhelmed with the results and could do with some help - and as simple as possible please!

Sorry if it's been documented here already but I couldn't find anything that helps.

If all is working fine then you probably have the bios where they need to be  unless I misunderstand what you mean by that. If you downloaded a full romset normally all the bios are in that set.

Mame bios files can get dumped into the same folder as Mame roms. If you choose to put them elsewhere you just need to point Mame to that folder location. Launchbox only needs to know where the roms are. Unless you used the full Mame romset import option then it does not care as long as you have a full romset and Mame is already pointing to it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2019 at 1:20 AM, Retro808 said:

If all is working fine then you probably have the bios where they need to be  unless I misunderstand what you mean by that. If you downloaded a full romset normally all the bios are in that set.

Mame bios files can get dumped into the same folder as Mame roms. If you choose to put them elsewhere you just need to point Mame to that folder location. Launchbox only needs to know where the roms are. Unless you used the full Mame romset import option then it does not care as long as you have a full romset and Mame is already pointing to it. 

Hi,

How do I tell Mame where to look for the Bios files? The Bios files I have are named exactly the same as the Mame roms, so it tries to overwrite. I created a new folder called bios, but I'm not exactly sure how to tell Mame where to look.

thx

40 minutes ago, darrenmarchand said:

Hi,

How do I tell Mame where to look for the Bios files? The Bios files I have are named exactly the same as the Mame roms, so it tries to overwrite. I created a new folder called bios, but I'm not exactly sure how to tell Mame where to look.

thx

The bios should not be named the same as the Mame roms. Each bios required by Mame has its own unique name.  They typically get stored with the roms.  

16 minutes ago, darrenmarchand said:

That's how they came. I don't know who created it. Which means I can't copy to the mame folder or it'll overwrite.

If they are named incorrectly then they wont work, period. MAME is looking for specifically named files, so if yours are not named the way MAME needs them then they will not work.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

If they are named incorrectly then they wont work, period. MAME is looking for specifically named files, so if yours are not named the way MAME needs them then they will not work.

They're zip files with the same name as the Rom files. But they're definitely bios files. The files themselves are much smaller than the roms.

4 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Can you share a image of a zip, and another of the contents of it?

OMG. I'm so stupid. I didn't realize the Rom folder already had the damn bios files! I checked it more thoroughly and I see that the bios files are already in there. That's why it's asking to overwrite.

I'm so sorry to waste your time. Thanks for trying to help though. You guys are awesome and I love Launchbox!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, darrenmarchand said:

OMG. I'm so stupid. I didn't realize the Rom folder already had the damn bios files! I checked it more thoroughly and I see that the bios files are already in there. That's why it's asking to overwrite.

I'm so sorry to waste your time. Thanks for trying to help though. You guys are awesome and I love Launchbox!

On 9/17/2019 at 9:52 AM, DOS76 said:

Some games do need bios files but if you have the full MAME ROM set the bios files that are also in the MAME bios packs are already included in them so there is no need to download them or add them to your ROMs folder as they should already be present.

I guess my post that explains that was completely over looked.