LaunchBox Community Forums

Game videos - best source for full screen videos of gameplay for games/roms

ItchyRobot

I finally got Bigbox set up and love how it all looks. Though, I have landed on using he new "Colorfull" as my main theme and the videos I have downloaded for the games don't work well with it. Many of the game videos are very extravagant, showing only a small sub window of game play, surrounded with a bunch of other cool looking animations and other game related clip art. The "Colorful" theme doesn't look that great with these type of videos. I think a full screen of gameplay video would be best for this theme.

That brings me to my question... what is the best source for full screen gameplay videos for my games? I do have EmuMovies account, so that is possible a source. I just don't know if there is a way to weed out all the type of videos that I described above, and only download full screen gameplay videos of the games/roms.

4 minutes ago, ItchyRobot said:

I finally got Bigbox set up and love how it all looks. Though, I have landed on using he new "Colorfull" as my main theme and the videos I have downloaded for the games don't work well with it. Many of the game videos are very extravagant, showing only a small sub window of game play, surrounded with a bunch of other cool looking animations and other game related clip art. The "Colorful" theme doesn't look that great with these type of videos. I think a full screen of gameplay video would be best for this theme.

That brings me to my question... what is the best source for full screen gameplay videos for my games? I do have EmuMovies account, so that is possible a source. I just don't know if there is a way to weed out all the type of videos that I described above, and only download full screen gameplay videos of the games/roms.

Yes they are on emumovies. The type you describe above are "game theme videos" so just uncheck that box and you will never get them. Also they are stored in there own folder, Launchbox/Videos/Name of system that has all the standard videos in it as well as a "theme" folder, which contains the videos you described. So you can just delete that "theme" folder if you dont like/want them.

image.thumb.png.7bce0ab3d41945a8ec74a41f8d99b890.pngimage.thumb.png.3426fb16f06d26676fa2ffe1e7996d20.png

• Like 1

The types of videos yoou described are typically called Theme Gameplay videos. If you downloaded them using the Launchbox importer when it gets to the Emumovies tab there is a check box for Theme Videos. You can leave that unchecked and it will not download them if ones exist for a game. Also in BigBox in the Video settings there is a checkbox for Prioritize Game Theme video. Leave that unchecked as well. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 4.52.59 PM.png

• Like 1

@Retro808
The Bigbox toggle you suggested worked perfectly, thanks. Though, now the low resolution of the videos show their, well, lack of resolution. I'm sure I had high resolution checked, but may have told it to prioritize Launchbox videos instead of EmuMovies. What is the best way to redownload videos and get rid of all the lower resolution ones, and ensure I get the higher resolution videos? I assume I just delete all the videos out of the, for example, Z:\LaunchBox\Videos\Nintendo 64 folder. Then go into Launchbox, highlight all the N64 games and go to Tools>Download Platform/Playlist Theme Videos ... then check the box next to Nintendo 64, and change the dropdown menu and choose a different source, such as "Colorful 4K".

Or, do I not need to delete the files, but instead just select the Colorful 4K source and write over the old videos? Do they overwrite the videos, or save them along side the old ones? I am just trying to be efficient with my storage space and don't want extra videos, especially if they are subpar quality.

Thanks

Edited by ItchyRobot

26 minutes ago, ItchyRobot said:

The Bigbox toggle you suggested worked perfectly, thanks. Though, now the low resolution of the videos show their, well, lack of resolution. I'm sure I had high resolution checked, but may have told it to prioritize Launchbox videos instead of EmuMovies. 

I assume you are talking about the game play videos. If so, game play videos do not come from Launchbox. Those are Emumovies. So the prioritization of Launchbox over Emumovies will affect images not videos for a game.  There are options for Steam Videos and BigBox Cinematics in the Launchbox media download tab, but those rarely show a result.

26 minutes ago, ItchyRobot said:

What is the best way to redownload videos and get rid of all the lower resolution ones, and ensure I get the higher resolution videos? I assume I just delete all the videos out of the, for example, Z:\LaunchBox\Videos\Nintendo 64 folder. Then go into Launchbox, highlight all the N64 games and go to Tools>Download Platform/Playlist Theme Videos ... then check the box next to Nintendo 64, and change the dropdown menu and choose a different source, such as "Colorful 4K".

Somewhat correct. You can delete them if you want. That''s up to you. The steps you mention are for platform videos. The videos that actually represent the different platforms not that actual game play videos. What you will want to do is select all the games for a platform and go to >Tools>Download Metadata and Media and then when you get to the Emumovies screen make sure low res video options are unchecked. There are a couple others ways to do this like through the audit tool, but the steps will be pretty much the same. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 7.15.58 PM.png