LaunchBox Community Forums

Arcade cabinets with graphics

Drakkorcia

I have wanted to build my own cabinet but don't think I'm a skilled enough carpenter nor do I have the workshop and tools to do it. I would like something professional like a Arcade1up but they are really dinky for $350. Anyone have any ideas of the best cabinet for the money that I could drop a pc into? I would also like to know if you can buy original cabinet art and marquees. Better yet, post your cabinet images so I can tell you how awesome your setups are :)

Edited by Drakkorcia

7 hours ago, dragon57 said:

What is your budget? There are a few sites out there that offer pre-cut, full size cabinet w/custom art and marquees. Some are pretty reasonable, and some are quite pricey.

I don't know an exact number but I need affordable as possible. Please point me in the direction of what you know and I can make a decision off of what I see.

5 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

I bought a kit on ebay for a good price but you do still need some tools and knowledge (thanks dad). I also did some additions to it like adding a cutout so I could have a USB and ethernet passthrough plate on the back.

I am a pretty handy person but I don't have a woodshop or a big garage to assemble a project from scratch. It has to be pre-cut. The Arcade1up is great in a lot of ways but it is too limited and too small. It is basically a tugboat cabinet ( remember tugboat arcade games folks?). And I don't see the point in modifying one. It's like taking an economy sedan and putting a turbo and nitrous to make it fast, a new transmission, wheels and suspension to handle the added speed, and racing seats and gauges because you need it to feel like a race car. When all is said and done you spent more modifying a cheap sedan to perform like a performance car, instead of just buying a performance car in the first place. Seems like a waste to buy an Arcade1up, and just throw away the parts you replace.

lol if they are more expensive than recroommasters they must really be high priced. Making your own is the only really affordable option. In the links in my post the cabinet itself and the buttons comes out to be about $160 if you already have a monitor and PC to put in it then the rest isn't all that expensive depending on how far you want to go with it. I had a cheap little amp and a set of speakers I already owned that I put in it. So really if you already had all that then you would need T-Molding graphics and Plexi (If you even feel you need the Plexi).

Here is a link to the amp that I own.
https://www.amazon.com/Lepy-LP-2020A-Digital-Amplifier-Stereo/dp/B00C2P61FO/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=mini+stero+amp&qid=1570056346&s=gateway&sr=8-7

29 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

I have one of their older 27" cabs and really love it. A number of my friends also have different models and they also love theirs.

Ditto. I started with an old arcade cabinet but realized I was going to be spending more time fixing and implementing than getting up and playing.

I bought the 27” model as well but heavily modified it for my purposes: made tankstick permanent and completely accessible and add a permanent steering wheel and pedals.

8 hours ago, DOS76 said:

yeah I would never buy a one up machine. They look like garbage to me

There was one on display at the electronics store and it was actually decent in my opinion. I didn't think the controls were that bad at all. Artwork was well done. My only issue with it was its miniature scale. Even with the riser it was short. But then again the full sized cabinets are beasts. Somewhere in the middle would be a good compromise.

3 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

Ditto. I started with an old arcade cabinet but realized I was going to be spending more time fixing and implementing than getting up and playing.

I bought the 27” model as well but heavily modified it for my purposes: made tankstick permanent and completely accessible and add a permanent steering wheel and pedals.

I would be interested in seeing this. Sounds awesome.

Lots of good responses here but it seems like there are two options: Get a A1U, make another 100 or so in mods, or pay $3000. Now I understand why so many people go the A1U route. Ace Amusements looks like they do as much or as little customization as needed with completed Nintendo style cabs for about $1500. I might see what they can do for a cab with art and let me handle the internals. Might be able to get an affordable build that way. Could also get a bartop and pay someone to make a custom riser for it? Who knows. A1U is looking like it might be the only way to go.

I bought a A1U MK II w/ riser in like new used condition. And I stand corrected. With the riser it looks very, very good. And while it is dwarfed by a full size Midway or Neo Geo cabinet,  it isn't far away from a Ms Pacman or Donkey Kong. I've played many games in a real arcade that were this size (with riser). Artwork is professional quality, it is heavy enough to feel solid but not too heavy to move, and the few cons it has like limited games, two setting sound, budget controls or unlit marquee can all be upgraded. I'm getting more of these. I'm sold.

• 5 months later...