LaunchBox Community Forums

Ok, im caving. Cant get exit emulator combo working

klepp0906

So ive been at this a few hours now, between frustration and the risk of burning an entire day trying to get a basic functionality working - I have to plead for help.

The short of it is, I cannot get the exit emulator functionality working.   I tried two different button combos in 10.5, neither worked in retroarch so I thought perhaps it was a retroarch thing.   Tried cemu and pcsx2, same result.

launchbox seems to be not passing the keys for some reason or another as the pause screen combo seems to be not working as well.   (although to be fair i could be using that incorrectly as I see a Game Pause option with a binding and a Show pause screen option with a binding, so not sure which I'm supposed to bind). 

Either way, of much higher priority is finding out why I cant exit emulators with a button combination.

taking all suggestions.   (and yes i checked within retroarch, escape is still set as the exit key and as such, works if i hit esc on the keyboard just fine).

wish i could say it worked before, but I'm brand new to LB/BB and just getting things set up.

Edited by klepp0906

Can you share pics of your settings. Show an image of your LaunchBox/BigBox exit emulator bindings and the bindings in Retroarch. Maybe you have something bound to another command and it is conflicting. 

Also you set pause by the Show Pause Screen. Where are you seeing a Game Pause listing? In LB and BB I there is only a Show Pause Screen.

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 1.52.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 1.53.54 PM.png

In the newer version of RA I had to start hitting escape twice when exiting as it would prompt me to confirm the exit. I think there is a setting for this somewhere but haven't browsed through the menu for new items so not sure but might be something to look at.

1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

In the newer version of RA I had to start hitting escape twice when exiting as it would prompt me to confirm the exit. I think there is a setting for this somewhere but haven't browsed through the menu for new items so not sure but might be something to look at.

It is under the main input settings. I think it is like the 3rd or 4th item down. It is on by default. 

Thanks I just turned it off. As an alternative you can just set a controller combo in RA to close RA that is what I have always done the same for MAME or any emulator that supports it. If the program itself can terminate itself why use 3rd party.

17 hours ago, DOS76 said:

odd, i never got notified of all these replies or woulda gotten to them sooner.  sorry gentlemen. 

As for pictures of my settings, Ill get em up at some point today.  Gotta do some adulting first unfortunately.   I did disable that ESC twice setting in retroarch (even though i prefer it on - if it affects this which it probably does, ill have to make the concession).

i had always assumed that somehow LB simply shuts down the exe, not that it used the emulators built in shut-down hotkey as some emulators dont even have that i believe.   Anyways.  it is what it is.   That setting had no bearing as I never even receive the initial popup RA would give (press again to shutdown) if you have the setting enabled.   Also no bueno with cemu or pcsx2.

You guys are all on 10.5?   Anyone running an xbox one bluetooth controller?   (i did try wired and wireless, and with steam open and closed since it likes to muck with controls in unpredictable ways at times and wanted to eliminate that variable)

16 hours ago, DOS76 said:

Thanks I just turned it off. As an alternative you can just set a controller combo in RA to close RA that is what I have always done the same for MAME or any emulator that supports it. If the program itself can terminate itself why use 3rd party.

yea this isnt ideal for me due to wanting ease of use and uniformity i guess.    For those emulators that only allow certain keys, or no key combos etc.   Much prefer the frontend to handle it.   Plus the pause screen functionality seems to not be being passed as well so it has potential implications beyond the scope of the post.

thats for bearing with the new-user onslaught.  Im like the nightmare-user due to my ocd perfectionism with such things (even though i know this doesnt fall in that category persay)

Edited by klepp0906

1 minute ago, klepp0906 said:

i had always assumed that somehow LB simply shuts down the exe, not that it used the emulators built in shut-down hotkey as some emulators dont even have that i believe.   Anyways.  it is what it is.   That setting had no bearing as I never even receive the initial popup RA would give (press again to shutdown) if you have the setting enabled.   Also no bueno with cemu or pcsx2.

It does just shutdown the exe. Dos mentioned setting in RA as an alternative since you are having issues. 

2 minutes ago, klepp0906 said:

You guys are all on 10.5?   Anyone running an xbox one bluetooth controller?   (i did try wired and wireless, and with steam open and closed since it likes to muck with controls in unpredictable ways at times and wanted to eliminate that variable)

Yes 10.5 and even betas. Yes, xbox one controller and several other types of controllers. I have 5 cabinets including a test pc in my house all on different controllers / arcade sticks and either on a stable or beta version all with no issues. 

49 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

It does just shutdown the exe. Dos mentioned setting in RA as an alternative since you are having issues. 

Yes 10.5 and even betas. Yes, xbox one controller and several other types of controllers. I have 5 cabinets including a test pc in my house all on different controllers / arcade sticks and either on a stable or beta version all with no issues. 

yea i meant directly, without using the emulators own shutdown commands.   Something like a taskmanager>endprocess would do.  

Im jealous, I need a NAS so i can have launchboxes all over :P I probably should get a small test set up going on my backup pc though.   Will report back a bit later today with screenshots of all relevant settings etc.

Edited by klepp0906

50 minutes ago, klepp0906 said:

yea i meant directly, without using the emulators own shutdown commands.   Something like a taskmanager>endprocess would do.  

That's also what I meant by It does just shutdown the exe. It doesn't have to use the emulators command if there is one. Controller/key automation sends Escape to shut it down. Dos was giving you an alternative in the meantime until you can figure out your problem. 

oooh perhaps I was confused then.   I thought it was basically a defined hotkey which was ran against a list of the default shutdown keys for all emulators and simply translated whatever your bind was, into whatever the default hotkey was in the emulator itself.

Someone previously had mentioned that if you changed the default hotkey in the emulator, it wouldn't work.  

so either that's true, and it is bound to what your per emulator shutdown setting is and as such, does not directly close the exe, or it isn't; and it circumvents the emulator entirely and shuts down the process directly via its own means.  (i guess it would would require a list of the emulator exe names, or hooking).

either way, largely semantics and apart from understanding what its doing for the sake of, i don't think its gonna help in my endeavor.  

Just to be thorough, do any of your pc's running LB use 2 displays? 

31 minutes ago, klepp0906 said:

oooh perhaps I was confused then.   I thought it was basically a defined hotkey which was ran against a list of the default shutdown keys for all emulators and simply translated whatever your bind was, into whatever the default hotkey was in the emulator itself.

Someone previously had mentioned that if you changed the default hotkey in the emulator, it wouldn't work.  

so either that's true, and it is bound to what your per emulator shutdown setting is and as such, does not directly close the exe, or it isn't; and it circumvents the emulator entirely and shuts down the process directly via its own means.  (i guess it would would require a list of the emulator exe names, or hooking).

either way, largely semantics and apart from understanding what its doing for the sake of, i don't think its gonna help in my endeavor.  

Just to be thorough, do any of your pc's running LB use 2 displays? 

It is not true. Which is why I advised the controller automation simply sends Escape to all emulators. 

There is no default exit hook/hotkey for the actual emulator settings when it comes to the controller and keyboard bindings. 

If someone mentioned that it is likely referring to those defaults in the Pause Theme tabs. Those are needed for when you are in the Pause screen Launchbox will use the emulators bindings for things like Save, Load, and for Exit. To be clear it is only using the emulators Exit hook to Exit from within the Pause screen and if there is a script needed for that it is placed in the Exit AHK Tab. That tab is specifically used for Exiting from within the Pause screen. Not to be confused with how it exits during gameplay. 

21 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

It is not true. Which is why I advised the controller automation simply sends Escape to all emulators. 

There is no default exit hook/hotkey for the actual emulator settings when it comes to the controller and keyboard bindings. 

If someone mentioned that it is likely referring to those defaults in the Pause Theme tabs. Those are needed for when you are in the Pause screen Launchbox will use the emulators bindings for things like Save, Load, and for Exit. To be clear it is only using the emulators Exit hook to Exit from within the Pause screen and if there is a script needed for that it is placed in the Exit AHK Tab. That tab is specifically used for Exiting from within the Pause screen. Not to be confused with how it exits during gameplay. 

ty for clearing that up ^

The top one is the Game pause menu you were asking about that asks for its own key, then in mappings theres a "show pause screen" that has a mapping as well.  So im a little lost on that .  But the rest of em are the relevant settings you were asking for a SS of.   If theres something else you want to see lmk.   By and large all my RA settings are the defaults.   I think i added tilde for the translation service and thats about it.   Using L3/R3 to try and close emulators since start+select pull up my RA menu.   (be nice if we had a hold start+select for xx option ;p) but I tried with other button combos to alleviate it having to do with the analog buttons.  

Tried running as admin.   Tried other emus.  Roar. 
image.thumb.png.6b305cb2d44174b71eb527ac84adf20b.pngimage.thumb.png.665c64134a232b978c06c5e8a5ed839d.pngimage.thumb.png.66ba4615ab37fd728046ea2b94e203b2.pngimage.thumb.png.f8e084e95399897d0923ebcd6a18a3f2.png

its an xbox one controller.

but theres been some development.

first (i asked about the dual display in case i need a reference case for process of elimination with some stuff down the road that i think that may have a hand in)

as for the key combo thing.

Seems it works in bigbox.   Ive now set it universally to select+b and bigbox allowed me to see how the pause screen functions which is as good as, if not better than the exit screen - so its gonna do dual purpose duty for me.

that being said - same as before, nothing is working in launchbox.   I cant understand why it would be the case considering ive eliminated all variables i know to.   (tried wired instead of wireless, tried admin permissions, tried with steam closed and opened due to the configurator being wonky at times)

I saw a hide taskbar option somewhere, but cant find it now lol.  Thats about the last thing I can think of, the emulator window is displaying but not taking focus properly or something.   

Try removing the input binding xaml (I do not remember the exact name but it is clear which one it is) from the data folder. Just move it somewhere else. Dont delete it. Then go back in Launchbox and rebind and test. Maybe something is corrupt in that xaml. If it does not work you can then paste back the original to get those setting back. Try it all though without Steam. 

If that does not work not sure what else to try.