LaunchBox Community Forums

Ok, im caving. Cant get exit emulator combo working

klepp0906

+1 for needing help on this.  All emus are set via hotkey to exit on Esc.  This works, always has done.  But can't exit emu via button combo at all.  Not Retroarch, not single-system emus either (I'm using Altirra - a bit obscure but it still lets me exit via the Esc hotkey, so why not this?).

Using Windows 10, Launchbox 10.5 Premium, wired Xbox 360 controller.   Only just paid for premium version so can't speak for previous versions.

Online guides don't help because the Options menu has changed so much.  (Can I assume Controller Automation is no longer a separate setting)?.

Just tried Launchbox 10.1 on my laptop, and this works without complaint, so going to go back to a backup copy of my setup and try that.  

Not the best initial experience of being a paid user, I'll say that much.

Edited by Terminates Here

Oddly, I took a backup of a working 10.1 installation, tried to jump to 10.5 again on a 'what the hell' basis, and now it's working?  Confused.  Seems something went wrong with my first attempted upgrade and I had to rewinds and start again.  Solved for now, but concerned the "proactive" auto-upgrade feature isn't as resilient as it could be.

oh boy, well kudos to you for testing that out and having an old version to check with.   @Jason Carr did just do a bunch of control stuff, like JUST so it very well could be collateral damage.

Ironically enough, I started using LB about a week back - and started with a beta version and could not use controls remotely via steam in bigbox.  He surmised it was due to the beta and the stuff he was working on so i rolled back to that, and sure as shite - off to the races.

I continued with my prepping of launchbox, and recently ran up against this.   Sourcing an older build was something I didnt think to try.

57 minutes ago, Terminates Here said:

Oddly, I took a backup of a working 10.1 installation, tried to jump to 10.5 again on a 'what the hell' basis, and now it's working?  Confused.  Seems something went wrong with my first attempted upgrade and I had to rewinds and start again.  Solved for now, but concerned the "proactive" auto-upgrade feature isn't as resilient as it could be.

makes me wonder, as i have a bunch of UI features that arent exactly working either.   This control thing takes priority though.  I wonder if theyre all casualties of the same.

I guess ill do what you did.  Install 10.1 over top, then re-upgrade.

just PRAY it doesnt bust anything I have set up.  Ive been going fast n frantic and no way of remembering what is what :P

Edited by klepp0906

20 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Try removing the input binding xaml (I do not remember the exact name but it is clear which one it is) from the data folder. Just move it somewhere else. Dont delete it. Then go back in Launchbox and rebind and test. Maybe something is corrupt in that xaml. If it does not work you can then paste back the original to get those setting back. Try it all though without Steam. 

If that does not work not sure what else to try. 

ftr, tried this.  No good either.

I shot an email to support@unbrokensoftware or some such - one of the mods in the discord suggested.  Included a log just in case it holds anything obvious.  I figure between that, and the fact that someone else had the same issue crop up and required rolling back - it should be enough to go on.

Edited by klepp0906

Hey guys, sorry for the issues here. I'm currently working on a beta and have some other controller issues resolved, but for the life of me I can't seem to replicate any issues closing down emulators with the button combos. That said, this thread is extremely confusing; can you guys detail for me the exact issues that you're running into with version 10.5?

My understanding is that the exit emulator button combo is not working, but I need to figure out what the difference is because I'm not seeing any issues with it. @klepp0906 @Terminates Here

29 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Hey guys, sorry for the issues here. I'm currently working on a beta and have some other controller issues resolved, but for the life of me I can't seem to replicate any issues closing down emulators with the button combos. That said, this thread is extremely confusing; can you guys detail for me the exact issues that you're running into with version 10.5?

My understanding is that the exit emulator button combo is not working, but I need to figure out what the difference is because I'm not seeing any issues with it. @klepp0906 @Terminates Here

Hi, the issue was that 10.5 happily accepted any button combo as a closedown emulator option, but it simply didn't work in practice.  Could exit emulator via Esc key and whatever specific exit function were available within, but not from the controller (the controller otherwise worked perfectly).

I mostly fixed it by restoring a backup of 10.1, and then upgrading again.  Hence, I traced the problem to the auto-upgrade failing the first time I tried it, which messed up some settings or something like that.  Regret I can't replicate.

One quirk...the use of Start+Select as an Exit combo now works in Retroarch, it works in standalone emus (Altirra is my favourite, I have a few others), but oddly doesn't work in standalone MAME64 (as opposed to MAME-core-run-thru-retroarch).   Not sure if there's anything different I have to do setup-wise (it's always been a fiddly emu to work with).  I only really use it for Bally Astrocade and a few obscure ex-MESS systems, but curious to establish what's up with this one.

Edited by Terminates Here

7 minutes ago, Terminates Here said:

Hi, the issue was that 10.5 happily accepted any button combo as a closedown emulator option, but it simply didn't work in practice.  Could exit emulator via Esc key and whatever specific exit function were available within, but not from the controller (the controller otherwise worked perfectly).

I mostly fixed it by restoring a backup of 10.1, and then upgrading again.  Hence, I traced the problem to the auto-upgrade failing the first time I tried it, which messed up some settings or something like that.  Regret I can't replicate.

One quirk...the use of Start+Select as an Exit combo now works in Retroarch, it works in standalone emus (Altirra is my favourite, I have a few others), but oddly doesn't work in standalone MAME64 (as opposed to MAME-core-run-thru-retroarch).   Not sure if there's anything different I have to do setup-wise (it's always been a fiddly emu to work with).  I only really use it for Bally Astrocade and a few obscure ex-MESS systems, but curious to establish what's up with this one.

Okay, thanks for the details. I can't explain what happened the first time through, other than maybe some incorrect controller mappings. But glad it's all working. MAME does have a known issue where it refuses to accept simulated inputs if you use the wrong input engine. That shouldn't be an issue though if you use "-keyboardprovider dinput" in the emulator command line options.

yes same, its not just the exit emulator combo, even the pause screen combo wont work.

Neither are affected/both working in bigbox so its exclusive to Launchbox mode (at least for me).

sorry i had to be brief - kids doing... kid things.   Will be back before long and read over this and see if theres anything terminates didnt cover.

also did email a log to the support address.  unsure if it holds anything helpful.   I did notice a few exceptions but unsure if theyre input related or something else alltogether/par for the course

Edited by klepp0906

is there some kind of global disable-hotbutton combo type thing in launchbox?   Still working in bigbox, but not from launchbox.

select+b is set as my pause screen for RA still non functioning outside of BB.  

(like terminates, it maps just fine - just doesnt get to the emulator/work after emulation is started) 

20 minutes ago, klepp0906 said:

is there some kind of global disable-hotbutton combo type thing in launchbox?   Still working in bigbox, but not from launchbox.

select+b is set as my pause screen for RA still non functioning outside of BB.  

(like terminates, it maps just fine - just doesnt get to the emulator/work after emulation is started) 

What are your controller mapping settings in LaunchBox? I'm guessing that there might be a conflict in there that might be causing issues.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

What are your controller mapping settings in LaunchBox? I'm guessing that there might be a conflict in there that might be causing issues.

ive tried several with no luck.  Currently select(back) + B is my pause screen & select + A is my close emulator.

ive tried several emulators as well.   I had thought it might have been a RA thing, but that turned out to be a negative.  Only time they work is in bigbox.   Same controller connected the same way.  If i swap to bigbox, im good, if i swap back to launchbox, theyre useless again :P

if you have any known working/combo suggestions youd like me to try - certainly willing :)

Just now, klepp0906 said:

ive tried several with no luck.  Currently select(back) + B is my pause screen & select + A is my close emulator.

ive tried several emulators as well.   I had thought it might have been a RA thing, but that turned out to be a negative.  Only time they work is in bigbox.   Same controller connected the same way.  If i swap to bigbox, im good, if i swap back to launchbox, theyre useless again :P

if you have any known working/combo suggestions youd like me to try - certainly willing :)

I think the issue is more likely to be a conflicting mapping elsewhere, than those certain mappings. Can you attach your InputBindings.xml file here?