LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox performance issues - sluggish/slow

tallpr24

Hello all,

first time posting here.  I have bigbox running on 2 computers with 2 lifetime licences.  Loving it.  Works great no issues.  Recently i decided to work on a mini project.  I wanted to bring the experience on the go.  I purchased a dell 5175 windows 10 64 bit tablet.  Its a 10 inch tablet.  Purchased a ipega telescopic controller that sits on both sides of the tablet.  Fresh windows 10 install, latest drivers and 256 nvme ssd drive.

The tablet's hardware is as follows:

6th Generation Intel Core m3-6Y30 2.2GHz, 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3L Memory, M.2 500 GB SATA Class 20 Solid State Drive and 

Intel® HD Graphics 515.

The little tablet is not bad.  paid 200 dollars for it.

so far i have been able to play all emulators all the way up to Nintendo Gamecube and Nintendo Wii.

The issue I'm having is that when i use bigbox, when i have videos turned on, big box lags when switching between systems.  I was wondering if any one can give me some tips on what to adjust to improve this.  if i turn off the videos its a lot better, but man the videos are so cool.  I also wanted to add, that for some reason when i switch the video player from vlc to windows media, it seems to work better.  I'm using the default theme.  Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Quote Edit

Edited by tallpr24

4GB of DDR3 RAM isnt really a lot to run the OS and dedicate RAM resources to the IGPU also. However i would look in the bios and see how much RAM has been allocated to the IGPU and increase that if you can. At the end of the day though Bigbox is displaying multiple things simultaneously so more RAM the better. Also that IGPU is having to do a lot of work if you are trying to have videos playing as well.

Yea, thats what i thought, was hoping there was a way to have the videos play at a lower resolution or something like that.  Ill just turn off the videos for  now, works ok with the videos off.  I knew i was going to run into some issues because of the limted hardware, still its a fun project finding out and trying different things on low end computer.  Still having big box on the go is really awesome.  

Im hoping in the near future they will add options to select on big box for low end computer that would auto adjust settings for that.

is there any other themes geared towards lower end computers in bigbox?

8 minutes ago, tallpr24 said:

Yea, thats what i thought, was hoping there was a way to have the videos play at a lower resolution or something like that.  Ill just turn off the videos for  now, works ok with the videos off.  I knew i was going to run into some issues because of the limted hardware, still its a fun project finding out and trying different things on low end computer.  Still having big box on the go is really awesome.  

Im hoping in the near future they will add options to select on big box for low end computer that would auto adjust settings for that.

is there any other themes geared towards lower end computers in bigbox?

Dont know if you tried this, maybe it helps; turn off all transitions in big box settings, and/or uncheck all fan art backgrounds in launchbox image priority settings. It might help speed big box up leaving more space for videos.