LaunchBox Community Forums

Mr. RetroLust's - Mame 4K - Lights Out - Realistic Bezels

Mr. RetroLust

21 minutes ago, fazmeister said:

Ok thanks, so what you are saying is that's just because of the curved CRT look and not an actual alignment issue, i.e the bend could be made to go round all the text ?

When you bend it with the curved CRT effect you'll see more of the text because when the game screen is flat the bezel will cover the text.

12 minutes ago, fazmeister said:

I think we're at crossed purposes, I want to know if I can do anything to make the stuff on the game not be clipped, in 1942 e,g the 1 up and 2 up are slightly obscured due to the curved screen

Ah ok, you can adjust the height, width, x and y position in the .lay file included in the zip file. Just open the file with a notepad editor.

Thanks for this, I've had a good crack at working this out and I've come to the conclusion what I'm trying to do isn't possible without it affecting the curved look of the bezel at the bottom.

For example on 1942 my standard screen looks like this with the 4 corners obscured due to the curved bezel (yellow)

image.thumb.png.5778ad11b0469227fc5cc1de0b114a9d.png

Therefore is there away to reduce the playing screen slightly so all 4 elements show fully or some other way without losing the curved look

Regards Dave

34 minutes ago, fazmeister said:

Thanks for this, I've had a good crack at working this out and I've come to the conclusion what I'm trying to do isn't possible without it affecting the curved look of the bezel at the bottom.

For example on 1942 my standard screen looks like this with the 4 corners obscured due to the curved bezel (yellow)

image.thumb.png.5778ad11b0469227fc5cc1de0b114a9d.png

Therefore is there away to reduce the playing screen slightly so all 4 elements show fully or some other way without losing the curved look

Regards Dave

I think you just have to adjust the width and height of the game screen, adjust the x and y coordinates to the new size of the game screen and thats it. I dont understand what you mean by losing the curved look as that should'nt happen.

Ok, sorry if not clear, on the pic above you can see that 1up and 2 up and the number of planes and credit 0 are slightly obscured due to the gameplay screen rounding at those edges. I wanted to see if there's a way to show these fully

The snip below is from an original 1942 machine and you can see it doesn't have that issue 

image.thumb.png.b40ce135342d61278ca69bad11a71377.png

2 hours ago, fazmeister said:

It's Ok now, I understand how the parameters affect the screen etc so what I'm effectively asking for isn't possible unless I lose the whole curved optical look. If I want everything displayed it'll be as a rectangular screen so that's the trade off, thanks for the help

I see what the problem is now, your screenshot of 1942 shows the gameplay screen entirely flat, at the start of our conversation I told you I use an effect in mame to curve the screen, you can also add scanlines and other effects. Im not at the pc atm but im sure a google search will help you on your way, search for "Mame apply scanlines" or something, In the downloads section of this project I also added my mame effect presets but they might not work with newer mame versions as I use version 0.198, in that case if you open the presets with a notepad editor you'll see what I used for effects and the curvature amount.

Thanks, I think I understand what you're saying. I took this from a youtube video 

image.thumb.png.553c8e5ccb94a9d7aca4ad12842ec358.png

For example from the video above I can see Arkanoid as below showing curved text for scores etc

image.thumb.png.99bab083cb3823a94a7522098299824a.png

On mine it looks as you say flat

image.thumb.png.3adee9cc92769edbf0446b74b9836bf6.png

I've downloaded all the files including the presets but I'm out of my depth knowing how to fix this. I really appreciate the help, this is a serious great project you've done

Regards Dave

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, fazmeister said:

Thanks, I think I understand what you're saying. I took this from a youtube video 

image.thumb.png.553c8e5ccb94a9d7aca4ad12842ec358.png

For example from the video above I can see Arkanoid as below showing curved text for scores etc

image.thumb.png.99bab083cb3823a94a7522098299824a.png

On mine it looks as you say flat

image.thumb.png.3adee9cc92769edbf0446b74b9836bf6.png

I've downloaded all the files including the presets but I'm out of my depth knowing how to fix this. I really appreciate the help, this is a serious great project you've done

Regards Dave

Yep thats what I ment, you can read all about the effects in mame on this page, justvtake your time to suck it all in: https://docs.mamedev.org/advanced/hlsl.html

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/3/2022 at 7:02 PM, neil9000 said:

Did you let Launchbox download and install MAME? If you did it added some commands to the command line section in manage emulators, one of those is a art zoom option, remove that command.

Hi - please can you help me locate this zoom option? Been looking for ages and cant find - many thanks 🤯

5 hours ago, DEEPEEELL said:

Hi - please can you help me locate this zoom option? Been looking for ages and cant find - many thanks 🤯

go to tools/manage/manage emulators/mame and you should see a list of commands in the command line box, delete the part that says -artwork crop.