Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
willkills

Can we get independent core options?, please read

Recommended Posts

You are locked in for one core choice for all your titles. This is an issue because all MAME roms use different MAME cores as an example. Can we get the option to choose independent cores for what ever rom needs a different core other then the main core for all? 

Edited by willkills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, willkills said:

You are locked in for one core choice for all your titles. This is an issue because all MAME roms use different MAME cores as an example.

MAME roms and the emulators are versioned, you do not need multiple versions unless you have downloaded random roms from all over the internet. You get a romset, note the version and use the same version of the emulator or retroarch core.

 

5 minutes ago, willkills said:

Can we get the option to choose independent cores for what ever rom needs a different core other then the main core for all? 

You can already use different emulators or retroarch core on a per game basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK i just noticed that this is in the Android section, i missed that. I dont believe different emulators/cores is a option in the Android version currently. 

My other point stands though, get a romset and use the correct emulator version and they will all work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried using different cores per game but say if I change one game from mame 2003 to 2010 it does it for all the rest of the roms.

Edited by willkills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah he originally answered thinking this was for the Windows version which is also what I assumed when I 1st read it due to not looking where it was located and opening it from the unread section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

OK i just noticed that this is in the Android section, i missed that. I dont believe different emulators/cores is a option in the Android version currently. 

My other point stands though, get a romset and use the correct emulator version and they will all work.

I did that but that doesn't always work. Some roms run better with different cores. Like say Narc, it won't load with say mame .215 but will with 2003.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, willkills said:

I did that but that doesn't always work. Some roms run better with different cores. Like say Narc, it won't load with say mame .215 but will with 2003.

As i said you need to know what version your roms are, whatever version they are they will be guaranteed to work with the same version of the emulator. Mixing and matching romsets and emulators is not a good idea for the very reason you stated, not all games work. MAME is very different to other emulators, you should only ever update the emulator version if you are also updating the romset. If you have a romset you stick to, never update the emulator as games that did work can break, or bios's can change, or better dumps are made and made the default rom, all sorts of reasons that can break games if you dont match the romset and emulator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand what you are saying. I do have a complete .215 romset. Then it must be broken roms then. I don't get it though how can it be broken if it still plays perfectly with mame 2003 core? I know for a fact the roms are not mixed. I guess I will hafta research more on the issue. Thanks for the insight and info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, willkills said:

I understand what you are saying. I do have a complete .215 romset. Then it must be broken roms then. I don't get it though how can it be broken if it still plays perfectly with mame 2003 core? I know for a fact the roms are not mixed. I guess I will hafta research more on the issue. Thanks for the insight and info.

Unless you have sideloaded a 32bit version of retroarch then the standard MAME core (which would be version 0.215) is not available to you. Its only on the 32bit version and not the 64bit version which is what is in the google play store. Current romsets are not often used on Android due to the lack of raw power to run some games (hence why a reference 2003 romset is still maintained and regularly updated and is mostly used on Android and the Raspberry Pi), most emulators on Android  are for the 2003 set, around 0.078 or so i think. Many changes to roms and bios have been made since then (it is 16 years old after all) so using current roms on a 2003 or equivalent core will result in quite a few games not loading. Of course there are also roms that have been exactly the same for years and years and will work in most versions of the emulator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...