LaunchBox Community Forums

With the new modifications I had to disable all controller mappings.

mariano2860

They forced me to go back to using the keyboard, as annoying as that can be, to exit from emulators,
control the volume and others.
At least fix the "Use all attached controllers" checkbox to temporarily work around the problem
with the buttons from different controllers being detected simultaneously and causing the mapped
actions to occur! Exiting from emulators, being the most problematic!
It is a significant backwards jump to have to resort to have a wireless keyboard sitting around the couch
to be able to exit a game and go back to the Bigbox UI. Or having to walk from the couch to the computer in case of
not having a wireless keyboard.

11 minutes ago, mariano2860 said:

They forced me to go back to using the keyboard, as annoying as that can be, to exit from emulators,
control the volume and others.
At least fix the "Use all attached controllers" checkbox to temporarily work around the problem
with the buttons from different controllers being detected simultaneously and causing the mapped
actions to occur! Exiting from emulators, being the most problematic!
It is a significant backwards jump to have to resort to have a wireless keyboard sitting around the couch
to be able to exit a game and go back to the Bigbox UI. Or having to walk from the couch to the computer in case of
not having a wireless keyboard.

What exactly is happening? 

The "use all attached" just allows any connected controller to use the mappings you set. LB and BB does detect separate controllers but not in such a way it sees Joy1, Joy2, and so on. It just sees all connected controllers and allows them to use the buttons you mapped to the controls. 

I use an Xbox One and a couple 8bitdo controllers. Since they are all seen as Xinput they all work just fine in LB/BB and the emulators for exiting games. 

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

What exactly is happening? 

The "use all attached" just allows any connected controller to use the mappings you set. LB and BB does detect separate controllers but not in such a way it sees Joy1, Joy2, and so on. It just sees all connected controllers and allows them to use the buttons you mapped to the controls. 

I use an Xbox One and a couple 8bitdo controllers. Since they are all seen as Xinput they all work just fine in LB/BB and the emulators for exiting games. 

i think he is saying that for automation they are seen as one. So for example player one and player two could accidentally hit a combo by pressing two different buttons at the same time while playing two player games. At least i "think" that is what he was getting at.

2 hours ago, mariano2860 said:

Yes that is the problem! And unchecking use all controllers does not work.

When you uncheck use all you should be able to now choose a single game controller to control Launchbox (there is a drop down box). This one will use the exact buttons you mapped. Any other controller that is on will not be able to affect Launchbox.

LB does not have what would be controller specific mapping. With the "use all" option Launchbox will do exactly what you are seeing. If you have that on and have two controllers turned out LB sees both of them. However, it does not differentiate between them as  Joy1 and Joy2 for buttons (like you might see in an emulator - "controller specific mapping"). That is why when you look at the game controller mapping it only shows "Button 8" versus "Joy1 Button 8". If it was mapped as "Joy1 Button 8", well then when Joy2 was on it would not be able to control Launchbox. By doing this it allows for multiple controllers to use the same button # to make commands.

I hope I am making sense. It took a second for me to understand when Jason explained it. He advised it would required a lot of recoding to change that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ohh damn I was searching for stuff about big box controller mapping and that sort of answered my question as well.  I was curious if with the more recent updates you could select a controller, then go edit the mappings, then select a different controller, then go edit ITS mappings, so on and so forth.  So that for each controller you could have buttons you chose for it to control bigbox.   Currently, I have my xbox R3 click to start a game, but that button number is different on my SNES usb controller, and also different on my gamecube controller, etc.  So I have to push buttons until for example, I remember that whatever button number that is, corresponds to a different button on a different controller.  Because bigbox seems to just apply the first button mapping you do onto every other controller, regardless of where that button happens to physically be, and whether you want it to be that button on a different controller or not.

Hopefully someday we get controller specific mappings to navigate bigbox, so that we can pick up any controller, and have mappings that make sense for each one depending on the buttons on the controller.

Edited by damageinc86