LaunchBox Community Forums

Steam Interfering with Controller config for RetroArch

TheControlVoice

Hello all,

I am having some issues with controller configuration and hoping someone can help.

I play my games using Big Box launched through SteamLink. I recently bought some Vilros Retro Gaming USB controllers. I have setup custom controller config and set the parameters in LaunchBox to use them. All of that works great. However, if I launch Big Box from Steam (both on the PC and using SteamLink), the controllers no longer work correctly inside RetroArch.

The controllers work in Big Box and in SteamLink just fine. Its just once I am in game. I went to the quick menu to check the config and everything is working fine. I tested it launching from the PC, launching it from Steam and launch it from SteamLink. Only Steam and SteamLink cause this issue.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I like use these controllers but need to use the SteamLink as I play in a different room from the PC. I also don’t want to build another PC or use the Raspberry Pi.

Also, as a side note. I noticed that when launching from Steam and SteamLink, that the RetroArch control configuration loads 4 times with two controllers plugged in. I think once I saw it load 6 times. See attached image.

While taking these screenshots, I also noticed that from the PC it says Retro-bit Genesis and from Steam it says XInput Controller.

RetroArch Screenshot from PC.png

RetroArch Screenshot from Steam.png

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/7/2020 at 7:59 PM, thefritz11 said:

Haven't done a proper google search for this yet did anyone figure out how to stop steam from hijacking the controller settings? I think it has to be a setting in retroarch

but haven't started digging yet. 

Nope. No solution yet. I am just going to build a PC for my game room instead of using Steam Link to play from my main PC. I cant even get the Xbox controllers to work at all with with my GameCube emulator wile using the Steam Link. If I use the PC directly everything works fine. I've even tried VirtualHere. 

3 minutes ago, TheControlVoice said:

Nope. No solution yet. I am just going to build a PC for my game room instead of using Steam Link to play from my main PC. I cant even get the Xbox controllers to work at all with with my GameCube emulator wile using the Steam Link. If I use the PC directly everything works fine. I've even tried VirtualHere. 

Yeah, I feel like for most that may be the best way. I fee like it eliminates more variables and gives you greater control. More $$$ of course but in scheme of things probably worth it. I just upgraded my NUC to something more up to date and those little things are great and reasonable if you have ram and/or SSDs laying around.

1 hour ago, thefritz11 said:

Yeah, I feel like for most that may be the best way. I fee like it eliminates more variables and gives you greater control. More $$$ of course but in scheme of things probably worth it. I just upgraded my NUC to something more up to date and those little things are great and reasonable if you have ram and/or SSDs laying around.

Looks like I have to save up $$$ then :( (which I don’t have).

Waiting for a solution forever but no response........

• 1 year later...

Running into similar issue. In my case it is the quick access to RA that does not work on my Xbox controller when running via Steamlink (works fine when plugged in my PC). One option is to connect the controller wirelessly to PC instead of the Steamlink box but you'll need to to have it plugged in into the box for it to start, so lots of going back and forth...

Edited by mokuleia