Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

Does the Ram Cache option still exist?


drw4013
 Share

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, drw4013 said:

In this pinned topic for improving BigBox performance:

There are instructions to change the Ram cache under Options -> System.  However, I don't see a "System" option menu anywhere. 

No its not available anymore, Launchbox has been completely re-written since then and that is all handled dynamically now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Retro808 said:

It still exists in menu options in both LB and BB. 

I'm not seeing it, in either LB or BB.  Where are the options located?  In LB I only see options for priorities and viewing, and in BB only options to refresh, not cache.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, drw4013 said:

I'm not seeing it, in either LB or BB.  Where are the options located?  In LB I only see options for priorities and viewing, and in BB only options to refresh, not cache.

Refresh is how you cache the images. BB and LB will cache it on startup. Refresh is what updates it if you add new images and LB or BB did not cache them. That is pretty much how it has been for a long time.

Launchbox - 2 ways. 1) Under >Tools>Refresh All Images. 2) You can right click a game, multiple games, or all games and do the same by choosing "Refresh Selected Images.

BigfBox >Options>Image Cache (All refesh options are right there). 

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 3.32.25 PM.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Refresh is how you cache the images. BB and LB will cache it on startup. Refresh is what updates it if you add new images and LB or BB did not cache them. That is pretty much how it has been for a long time.

Launchbox - 2 ways. 1) Under >Tools>Refresh All Images. 2) You can right click a game, multiple games, or all games and do the same by choosing "Refresh Selected Images.

BigfBox >Options>Image Cache (All refesh options are right there). 

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 3.32.25 PM.png

Thank you for the explanation.  That helps.  I don't want to sidetrack this topic any further...is there a guide on image caching/refresh?  I'm looking to determine how to identify that the caching is complete and if the auto-cache on startup only does newly added images, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, drw4013 said:

Thank you for the explanation.  That helps.  I don't want to sidetrack this topic any further...is there a guide on image caching/refresh?  I'm looking to determine how to identify that the caching is complete and if the auto-cache on startup only does newly added images, etc.

There is no guide. You just refresh and that is it. You will know it is complete as LB has a scroll bar (I think in green color) on the top. It can go by quickly depending on how much of your library you selected. BigBox if I remember right has a pop-up that says "Please Wait" and then disappears when done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...